This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep I almost killed em all!

So I've been combating some BBA in my tank and because of that I've been looking into CO2 injection for my tank. My brother had a tank and regulator he wasn't using and I wanted to play around with it so I hooked it to an air stone and dropped it in the tank. I made the mistake of not checking the regulator BEFORE I plugged in the solenoid and when I did the CO2 erupted from my tank like a violent volcano. I didn't think much of it at the time because I didn't realize that the water column would absorb CO2 so rapidly. While I was messing around with the air flow of it I noticed my Gourami and tetras were hovering at the top of the tank. I thought, at first, that maybe they just thought I was feeding them but they kept lingering up there. I grabbed my API Master Test Kit and started testing PH. It had dropped from 8.2 down to 6.2! I about pooped myself.

Luckily I had some water resting/aging in the basement for an upcoming water change so I ran down quickly and grabbed my buckets and vacuum. After a series of draining, filling, and testing I finally got the PH to a reasonable level and the fish swam back down and started behaving normally again. Needless to say my heart was racing after all that.
    Last edited by pirahnah3; 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM.
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Re: Yep I almost killed em all!

omg.... I would have freaked out worse... that's one good reason for me to stick with liquid ferts.... glad everyone is okay though!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Oh no, good thing you noticed what was going on before anything horrible happened. That was definitely a big drop in the pH. What was the pressure set at when this happened? It is good that all the fish are okay though, nice job on the reaction to correct it.

Comment

Oh it was only at like 6000 psi. I'm not sure where it was at after the regulator...It's a tank/regulator I'm borrowing from my brother and I didn't even think to check the CFM thing before I plugged in that solenoid. I definitely won't make that mistake again.

A little off topic but...On an interesting note...I just tossed the tube in with an airstone and it obviously brought the co2 levels up rapidly....that being the case...why would you use a reactor for co2 injection?
        8 GloFish
        6 Glowlight Tetra
        1 Dwarf Gourami
        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Yeah, it is a good idea to back off the regulator knob and start fresh, especially when hooking u a new tank. Otherwise it is possible to blow out a gauge making it useless.

The reactor is meant to make CO2 diffusion more efficient. With an airstone the bubbles are larger and break the surface easier before it can even get into the water. Even with CO2 diffusers the efficiency is still lower since some of the bubbles still get to the surface instead of blowing through the tank. The reactor allows for less CO2 to be injected to get the same results because it forces the CO2 to remain in contact with the water for a longer period of time instead of gassing out. So, in the long run it may save some money on tank refills. It takes a bubble rate of 3 per second with my diffuser to achieve a 1.0 pH drop. Once I have my reactor running I hope it will follow with what others say and I can run a lower amount of CO2.

Something I saw recently on another tank was an example of optimum diffusion of CO2. His setup went into a reactor and was then ran into an eheim canister dedicated for CO2 at the bottom which forced the bubbles to rise through media breaking them up even more. By the time the water was in the tank there wasn't a single visible bubble of CO2. The thing he mentioned about the CO2 bubbles floating around in the tank (I don't know the truth to this) is that they can get stuck under leaves and cause burns in the leaves from the acidity. So, I guess using a reactor may also help prevent this. Sorry about rambling a bit there.

Comment

Working...
          X