This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning black sand

Okay so i know the basics of cleaning sand but right now I don't have my bucket (brother borrowed them when he moved over the weekend for his huge tanks) so right now idk what to do... could I use a large bowl to clean the sand? I keep hearing about using a pillowcase as a strainer... is there something else I could use? Right now I can't go outside its way to cold for that so I have to use the tub...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

That is a brilliant idea about the pillow case. Why didn't I think about that before. Large bowl works but it will just take longer.

Comment

What about a big stock pot or something? Pretty similar to a bucket in size. I'd be worried that the pillowcase would retain tiny particles that I'd want to rinse away.
      __________________________________________________ _____
      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Re: cleaning black sand

Since you only need a small amount for your saltwater I would just use a bowl. For the other 15 lbs I would definitely get a bucket!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
        -Mike

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Forum Rules

Comment

Alright I'll use a large bowl for the 2lbs for the salt and look at the stock pots we have... I think we have one that's exactly 5gallons
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I agree, gotta suffer once with the old methods
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Oh thought I would randomly add, a week later.... that stock pot was 10 gallons... I used it to remove water from a 10g tank...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Where'd it come from!?!? I want one that big! Not for cooking of course

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

We have had it for years... I can't say for sure where we got it... I think it was in a camping section or something? It one of those pans people use for deep frying turkeys... I am sure Googling may turn up some results?
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I was just thinking a turkey fryer haha.

You can find really big stock pots out there, just depends on the cost, usually the plastic 5 gal buckets are cheaper.
                    -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Yeah the buckets are a TON cheaper! Just get 2 and your golden
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I was going to use it to boil wood so I'll do some googling

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Oh yeah never thought of that use! Ours came with a propane hook up so it can be used outside :-) get one like that and you don't have to worry about breaking the stove
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Or getting yelled at by my wife! Good idea

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

lol there ya go!

and here ya go, just a shade under 10gal pot

http://www.tractorsupply.com/masterb...pacity-4454489
                              -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                              X