Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power outtages (cold weather specific)

Okay so my area is about to get slammed by a major snow storm (so claims the weather man) and there is a very VERY real chance of a power outtage... now I am worried because I actually own something that will die if the temps get to low (my nano/Pico) besides wrapping the tank in a blanket what else could i do to preserve the heat in the tank for as long as possible... thanks for your advice and help guys! And I hope that if this storm doesn't hit this thread will be able to help others who are going to face a power outtage!
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Re: power outtages (cold weather specific)

A blanket or towels are about all you can do unless you can find a battery powered heater.

You will also need to monitor the oxygen levels. Gasping or gulping air at the water surface and you'll need to start an air line. But that will also lower the eater temp.

Be safe. Good luck riding out the storm.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Alright thanks... my only fish are bettas and 2 rosy minnows but i have shrimp that won't go for air... I am hoping all thir plants in the tanks will be enough to keep them going that way....

They make battery powered heaters? Any idea where I can buy one? I know it won't do any good tonight but so i could be ready for the next time...
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

power outtages (cold weather specific)

Another option is to get a power inverter or your car. Yeah, you have to have your car running, but they really help in a pinch.

Comment

I take waterbottles and pour hot water in them and then float them in the tank lol. That and wrapping them with towels will help.

Also, shrimpies will go to the surface if they have low levels of oxygen in the water. Seen it before unfortunately.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Yup keeping the tank warm is about all you can really do. If you can keep the house warm then you are kinda ok in that area, just have to aerate the water occasionally.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Working...
            X