Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any input on my oddball refugium idea?

While I do really like having a refugium for another area to add submersed plants, I thought of something different to try and would like some thoughts on it. This will continue use of the riparium plants and more if it is a good idea.

So, the idea is to remove my submersed plants in the refugium and disperse them to the display or emersed. Then, either dig out the center of the floramax substrate and move it to the sides as a border, or remove it to use as a cap. I would fill in the dug out area, or the whole refugium without a border, and replace it with something similar to hydroton (or other large rock that wouldn't effect my water hardness) to two inches below the 8" tall glass pane. Finally, I would add some root tabs and cap the large inert rock base with the floramax or a larger grain gravel. Ideas on the two substrates would be great.

If all that can be followed I believe that would be similar to an aquaponics setup for riparium plants. The nutrient export would be the same, but I would have an easily sustainable plant filtration source and something that may be unique. If I am thinking correctly, the base made up completely of large rock without a border would flow better than having a border. At the same point there would be more areas for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Thoughts, criticisms, or pointing and laughing are all welcome .

are you attempting to cause an area of anoxic activity to promote de-nitrification in the water or thru plant uptake? If your looking down the Aquaponics road with it, you will want all the nutrients you can get really.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

It would be through plant uptake with a good amount of plants that like very wet roots, but the large rock base would still allow for plenty of water flow. This would only be similar to aquaponics with the substrate used, or that is how my vague understanding of it goes. I guess it would be like how my riparium planters are, but on a larger scale. Between EI dosing, the root tabs I would be using, and fish waste someday I think there should be enough nutrients.

Comment

I think it will work, just think it might be eaiser to just use the plants as a sole source after a standard wet/dry filter or a fluidized bed. Then you will have a bout 0 nutrients left in the water with a good plant grouping. could easily feed your current plant project as well as a small garden.
        -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

This is something I would really like to try out. The current filtration setup seems to be working really well with depleting added ammonia within 8 hours from 3 ppm, so anything more that by doing this to the refugium would just be an added benefit. I honestly have not put much thought into this, or even knew where to go with it past having the idea. It seems like coming here with it was a good idea .

Comment

I think there can be alot of fun with it, might be something to try out but also something to def modify to get the best results.
            -Jim-

Comment

Yeah, the modifying part to get the best results is where I am getting lost now. The flow through the refugium is not too fast, like it should be, so I think that is okay. While I know leca balls are inert and wouldn't get clogged up with some sort of matter as easy, I am not really sure which would be safe for an aquarium since each company is different. Plus I can't get it locally. Other options that could replace it all seem to change some sort of water parameter significantly. So far the other thoughts were lava rocks and pumice stone, then I ran out of ideas lol.

Comment

the question is do you want to go full fluidized bed with it and skip the rocks...or you could go full drip style thru bio balls of some kind, heck you can use anything really, I did see styro peanuts used once as a media source, dont know how well they worked but they were in there...im not recommending it btw.
                -Jim-

Comment

I don't think I want to go with a fluidized bed, and would like to stay with the way the water flow is currently which should still work out. That is surprising someone used styrofoam peanuts as a media. I'll have to see what I can find that would be large enough, but not let a lot of the cap fall through. I didn't think about this before, but the root tabs would probably be a bad idea. Those things tend to release a lot of fertilizers if they get to any moving water, at least the seachem ones do if I accidentally disturb anything by them. Maybe this is something that needs to be set up, tested, and tweaked as time goes on. I don't have fish in that tank, so it seems like a good time to try.

Comment

why dont you like the idea of a fluidized bed? seems to me with having the flow thru it might be easy to use.
                    -Jim-

Comment

It isn't that I don't like it, I just don't have a very good understanding of it at all. Would I just add a Y-pipe (or whatever I can work with easily) off of the sump inlet and run some plumbing to the bottom of the refugium? That way I would have some still running through the filter media, and then the water ran to the refugium plus the overflow from the inlet as normal. Since I am working with an existing setup there isn't much modifying I can do. At the same time I have to be sure I am not outgassing the CO2.

Comment

Fluidized beds are easy, put them full of media that can move in the water (usually the K1 is whats being used now) and have a pump and some good water flow and your all set. I know you said you didnt like those DIY fish keeper vids but he has a good one on them.
                        -Jim-

Comment

I think you got me mixed up with Akari . I did watch uarujoey's video on a fluidized bed, but given my current setup it wouldn't work out. I would end up with a bunch of K1 running into my pump area. The media I have between the first two dividers is doing fine for ammonia and nitrites, but adding the media to the refugium would allow me to plant it with less demanding plants above the water. If I am thinking right the flow rate would still be similar through the refugium with the large rock base, and that would still allow for good nitrate export to the plants. I think I am going to start it out simple and modify it from there, if it doesn't work out I have use for the media elsewhere with my emersed plants.

Comment

AHHH I follow you now.

So what about using a deep sand bed and mts to stir. Stick the plants in the surface and the bacteria will grow in the lower portions, do an upflow style and we can build in a small sand washing watterfall even.

Heck your fuge could become a show piece lol.
                            -Jim-

Comment

Hmm...what about a deep sand bed for the base, leca or something else for the middle, and the floramax cap slightly above the water's surface? That way there would still be the benefit of the DSB, flow through the plant roots, and a nice substrate that would be visible at the top.

That is what I have been thinking, functional and nice looking. I wonder if I could put together a little river across the surface lol. This could be fun and work out great, or crash and burn horribly.

Comment

Working...
                              X