X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12g nano reef

i got a new tank today
    its a 12g nanocube with a powerhead into a back chamber full of media (going to figure out exactly what media tomw), as well as a protien skimmer. 2 actnic lights and one 6500-10000k, as well as moon light leds. its used to be a QT, the last 3 yrs or so, before that it was a fully functional reef for 4 yrs. both the power heads and the skimmer were replaced in the last 6 months. the bulbs will need to be replaced before i can add any corals or other photosensitive critters

heres the tank:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	reef day 1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	141572

its has several pieces of shell glued to the back wall, a few small pieces of live rock, and i got one from the system that had been broken down as well.

heres a close up of my big piece of rock

Name:	loose rock.JPG
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	141573

i also shot a pic of the skimmer in action.

Name:	skimmer.JPG
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	141574

and the cycling process begins (even with it being a well established tank im guessing a mini cycle at least from the move)
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Good luck with your new tank!! Have fun planning and designing your new nano cube.
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

I love the rock along the back......built in coral shelves they get great bright light.....gives some more coral options depending on the new bulbs I end up with
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Yes, good luck! How exciting.
        Christine

Comment

Very nice!! Looks awesome. Will you be getting some more live rock?
          -Jonathan

Comment

I cant decide if I need more.....I'm def in the 1-2lb/g range with the backscape and the loose pieces

I figure this is good place to mention stocking ideas......And theyre ideas at this point....tons of research before and choice actually made..

Barnacles blenny
            zoas, mushrooms, ricardia for coral options
            CUC: blue legger hermitcrabs, spontaneous star astraea......hubby loves lettuce sea slugs
            Other inverted: dwarf feather duster

These are just ideas at this point.....tons of reading to do still

Comment

How big do you think the piece was the guy gave you? The huge on that's sitting in the middle of the tank, I mean... I would get at least 7lbs more...

That blenny looks neat lol... any idea if your able to keep more than one in the same tank? If so I would get like 3...
              As for coral check out star polyps! I am going to be getting green star polyps soon almost look like grass when in large groups!
              That cuc (in my opinion) looks good... maybe you could also do some Nassirius(sp) snails... i have 3 in my tank really cool to watch them zombie out of the sand when you drop food into the tank! Maybe stay away from the sea slug for a while though... they eat a lot of food and die fairly easy (from what I have read) if food is lacking and some refuse to eat dried seaweed as a supplament... think oto and there ya go... also when they die you have to find and remove them fast as they release a toxin that, when in a small tank, can kill off fish... doesn't seem to effect most inverts just the fish...
              I have a ton of dwarf featyer duters whom hiked in on my rocking lol... I call them dwarfs only because i have read these guys wint get any bigger than what they are now... and i can't get my camera to focus on them to take decent pictures...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

the piece that's loose is at least 7-8lb by itself.....dense piece. I might do a little leanto off it.....depending on the stock I pick

Not sure on the blenny count.....the one site I found with info so far was pretty general. I know they're work in the tank, the guy I got it from had them at the begginig of the tanks
                *spiny star astraea.....dumb predictive text. I guessed the slug was a bad idea. He saw a pic, read a little, and begged me to put it on the read more list.....so Im reading more with zero promises he did mention the variety he liked wasn't supposed to be toxic if anything happened (saw3-4 diff varieties)
                nassarius looks fun...I may also add emerald hermits if I end up with enough algae for that many scavangers (id rather not supply 100% of a reef critters nutrition if it can come from the reef....)

Comment

Lets go with the low side of that... so 7lbs rock and about 2lbs on the back for about 9 lbs total... I would add maybe 3-5 more pounds and you should be covered on rocking! But adding the new rocking (unless base) will definatly put your tank squarly into a mini cycle...

I will help do some searching for you oh you could maybe do a clown pair! (Find a tank raised group though) they are cheaper, to start, already eat pellets/prepared foods, and aren't as sensitive to sudden changes! My lfs sells them for $25 a clown :-) also maybe think about getting a skunk cleaner shrimp or some peppermint (or is it ment) shrimp! Very awesome looking as well :-)

And YES get an Emerald Crab! Abel is the sweetest lol and if your lucky enough to find a crab at the store that isn't hiding in the live rock GET IT Abel was out in the open doing her thing and she almost never hides when awake! She has even made a cave where I can find her during the day when she is a sleeps :-)
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                  "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Mini cycle is fine.....I'm not stocking anything for 6-8wks (budget)......except maybe CUC if needed and the tank is cycled at that point

I'm not really interested in clowns......my tanknis not big enough for an anenome host. Id feel bad taking that out of their life (even ifvtheyre tank bred and have never seen one), I want to offer as much normal as is physically possible for any critter I get. 2 of the salty stores carry CB clowns of diff vatietys (tomato, nemo *cant remember the Latin*, fake nemo)

Hmmmmmm.....2 barnacles blenny and maybe a purple firefish? I wish sw had as many concise fish profiles as fw! Its hard to find more than general, buy-me profiles

Comment

I am crushed... I love the nemos xD the tanked raised ones at my lfs are percula(sp) I think those are the real and the ocelleris(sp) are fake... and tomatoe clowns just have a bad attitude all around...

That stocking sounds good to me...

Btw if i ever give bad advice to saltwater stuff I hope someone will correct me... as I am only 2 month into my adventure...
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

So I tested the water......gross. I'm getting my friend with w photo printer to print my sw card later today.....so I'm notbposditive on some numbers
                        Ammo: lime green (comp to fw 2ppm?)
                        Nitrite:0
                        Nitrate:80 (thanks tor dirty gross water.....)
                        Ph: 8.1-8.2
                        sal:1.190

Since this is new (or I'm trying to treat it that way)....I'm thinking 100% wc with premixed seawater. Crystal sea marine mix, premixed with ro at store
                        any reason this is a bad idea? Those nitrates have got to go, and i think its too late for the skimmer to do it (still figuring out exactly how it works)

Comment

Yeah I would say new tank start with all new water! And how the heck did that guy let his QT, no less, get that bad...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

The reef was broken down over a month ago.....the only thing this tank was doing was holding the left over rock. I bet those nitrate levels have killed off some ofbmy bacterias.....but I might grab a 2-4lb piece of rock when I get water here in a few minutes

Comment

Dense rock doesn't do as much good as hollow rock. So I wouldn't count it for much. IMO you need at least 5 more pounds of rock. My tank has near 50lbs of rock in it plus live sand. I'd also get some more live sand.

Stocking wise I think you want to stay pretty simple for now. Firefish really like to be in groups IMO. I've always seen them in groups in the wild. But they are a bit more advanced fish to keep so wait on them for a bit. If your LFS accepts exchanges I would get a Damsel or two for now. That's what I did but I still have mine LOL. I would only get one Goby. I'm not sure if you can keep multiples or not but I don't think you can.

CUC wise you look good. Definitely add some Nassarius snails. You want something to stir up the sand a bit. Lettuce Nudibranchs are great inverts but they eat their weight in algae a week or so. They are nonstop feeders and can pack away algae like no other. They also need stable params so you wanna wait on them for a while.

Your salinity sounds WAY high. It should be in the 1.022-26 range.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X