This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.5 gallon "desert" betta tank

Welcome to Vlad's humble abode! It hasn't been set up very long, so there isn't much in it.

Since my other sand tanks have black sand, and lots of bright green plants (and a tank with natural-colored gravel and lots of bright green plants), I wanted to do something different. I saw the reddish Petco sand and thought that would be fun. I still wanted to go somewhat natural, no bright blue sand and purple plants or anything.

I found some red/brown/purplish rocks, a fun piece of driftwood that made an arch, and put in a few bronze crypts from the other tank. I think once the crypts grow out, it'll look better. They're putting out about a new leaf every week, so hopefully it won't take too long.

Thoughts:

1. I want a background, but I don't know what color. Definitely not black; all my other backgrounds are black and it wouldn't go with the "desert"y look at all. I don't think blue would look good either though, and I don't know what other colors plan backgrounds come it. What do y'all think?

2. I'm toying with the idea of another small piece of driftwood. I love driftwood! Plus there are quite a few rocks in there already, so definitely don't need more of those. I'd consider putting it on the left side of the tank.

3. Removing the internal filter once the sponge filter seeds. On one hand, I like the idea of some mechanical filtration, but on the other hand, there's only a betta and a nerite. The betta doesn't poop much, and the nerite poops are too heavy to be sucked into the filter anyway. It's big and black and ugly and probably isn't doing much. Maybe if I got rid of it, I could find a long skinny piece of wood, and lean it against the left wall at an angle?

4. A very minor thing, but I'm thinking of making the "sandstone" more in the front (the stripey red and white rock in the back). I think it's pretty cool looking; when I got the sand it was the first kind of rock I thought of putting in there, and it actually took me forever to find some! But since it's kind of tall and flat I feel like it belongs in the back. But I can't really see it. Not sure.

5. I think it would be fun to put a tiny cow skull (fake...that was probably a given ) in the front. But I can't find one! Just giant skulls, or like dinosaur skulls.

The heater's hideous but I can't really do anything about that.

It looks so washed-out in the picture. A combination of the bright LEDs and my cruddy iPhone camera. It looks better in person, I swear!

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated! It's a work in progress, I know
    Attached Files

to me I would put the heater down a couple inches off the sand and horizontal and then get a nice long piece of DW and lay it along side it to kinda hide it. I would leave the top a bit more open maybe just put a tree like piece in there to mimic a dried up dead tree.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

That's a great idea about the heater!! I'll have to look for a nice piece of wood when I go to the LFS on Friday (to get vita-chem to try and fix his fins ). It kills two birds with one stone - hides the heater, AND I get another piece of driftwood

Do you mean a tree-like piece of driftwood? Man, if I could find a piece that looked like a dead tree, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

I am in agreeance with the above. Bettas like cover, they aren't huge fans of wide open space. Get him a cave or 2 to hide in and interact with. Maybe some moss tumble weeds that he can sleep on.
        My life is chemical. Blood laced with status quo.
        "I am a firm believer that if you love something enough you set it in a small cage and pester and smother it with love until it either loves you back or dies." Mindy Kaling

Comment

ooo great idea! I hadnt even thought of java moss as tumbleweeds!

Even if it isnt real DW and its just a decoration that you can use.
          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Java moss tumbleweeds!! Unfortunately the only java moss I have is tied to the driftwood in the 10 gallon. I had a huge clump, but it was in a quarantine tank with a betta that was ill and died, and I didn't want to take the chance with putting it in another tank.

As for cover, I'm hoping the crypts grow quickly, so that would afford some plantiness. He likes to hide in the corner behind the filter, so that's a good hidey-hole too, but he's usually in the corner watching me, as he is currently.

Comment

so play with him.
              -Jim-

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                Java moss tumbleweeds!! Unfortunately the only java moss I have is tied to the driftwood in the 10 gallon. I had a huge clump, but it was in a quarantine tank with a betta that was ill and died, and I didn't want to take the chance with putting it in another tank.

As for cover, I'm hoping the crypts grow quickly, so that would afford some plantiness. He likes to hide in the corner behind the filter, so that's a good hidey-hole too, but he's usually in the corner watching me, as he is currently.
                Najas Grass

Comment

CJ, I don't have any najas grass either! When I was taking down the 2.5 gallon shrimp tank and setting up the 5.5 gallon, I accidentally left it sitting on my desk and it dried up. That would probably work though, if I rolled/tangled it into balls.

Jim, I do play with him! He's the only betta I've had that follows my finger when I drag it up and down the walls of the tank. I'll have to put up a video.

Comment

lol alot of my fish will do that, esspecially around feeding time haha.

If sure someone on here has some najas they would or could part with...
                    -Jim-

Comment

I'll send some...I'm constantly trimming the suckers in my 10g...

Comment

For tumble weeds you can also buy a marimo ball or two and cut them to make them smaller... or orders some nano marimos from aquaticmagic on eBay they are fake (I think its just have moss rolled up in a ball I got stuck with 10 of em) but when they start getting stringy growth they look kinda like tiny tumble weeds... but they are smaller than a dime...
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I would LOVE to have marimos, but the first two I got died on me and left a bitter taste in my mouth (not literally ). It's hard to pay $8 for one at Petsmart and risk it dying like my first two did. That would look awesome though!

CJ, that's funny because I think I sent you some for my RAOK Do you know how much shipping would be? I don't remember how much I paid when I sent it out, and it depends on how you would package it too of course. Or maybe you could wait until the end of March, and put it in the box that you will hopefully be sending me then

Comment

Great start! Love the color of the sand and those Crypts are going to look great when they fill in. I love it!!

I agree, with placing the heater so it's horizontal.

I look forward to updates.
                            Christine

Comment

Thank you! I'll put up another picture when I find a piece of driftwood this weekend and hide the heater.

Now Vlad just needs to work on regrowing those darn fins A round of Maracyn/Maracyn2, daily partial water changes, and he still looks like his fins are rotting away.

Comment

Working...
                              X