40g long hex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40g long hex

So i made a deal with my mom to trade her my 29g w/stand for her 40g hex w/stand because I am rescuing my fish from my brothers house... long story if you want it PM me... anyways so today, well tonight, I am goin to start to transfer... starting with moving my turtle from the 29 she is being housed in until winter to a 100L sterilite tote I bought from my job... it is just as long as the 29 but not as tall which is fine...

The 29 will become home to 9 red claw crabs and the 40g will become home to
    4 black skirt tetra
    6 black neon tetra
    6 oto
    6 albino cories
    2 purple mystery snails
    1 Betta (betta is fish friendly)

I may or may not add to the stock I haven't decided yet... my biggest worry is feeding the otos... they will eat veggies and wafers but I would still like for them to have real algae as well... any idea as to how i can cause algae to grow quickly in this tank? I don't want to over dose flourish because I don't want to deal with an algae bloom...

the lighting is low to medium until I upgrade (planning for marine land LEDs) I would like to plant this thing so I know I want
    Anubias coffeeolia
    Bronze cyrpt
    Dwarf lily
    No idea what else... I would like to expand out to more exotic plant that I have never tried before... ideas?

Going to has an HOB and maybe an UG but I may remove it what do you guys think about that? Anything else i should worry about? The tank is cycled as is right now i will just fill it with water and hope it stays cycled until i can add everyone, which has to be at once I am afraid ... thanks for reading and I shall keep you all posted... BTW if i don't use the UF should i dirt this tank?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Leaving the lights on longer will help grow algae lol. I sometimes forget the lights on my 70g and I have little algae spots the morning after.

I wouldn't add a UGF to be honest. If left to do their thing without regular maintenance they can become detritus traps.

Can't help plant wise lol. Instead of dirting the tank you could pot some of the plants which you want to grow in dirt. I've done that before.
    -Jonathan

Comment

Lol okay I'll just leave it on then and see what happens...

Yeah that's what I was told... I will just pull them out (they are already in the tank) I have a really nice HOB that I'll use instead :-) maybe I'll go to petsmart and buy a canistar sometime...

Looking at my betta tank i agree... as much as i like the plants growing wicked fast I think I will just pot the ones I want dirted... not sure which I will want to dirt but I will get to that part later on... maybe I'll dirt a lily for sure...

However what i just noticed about BOTH stands is the bottoms will hold a tank hehe... going to place the betta tank under the 29g and the saltwater Pico will be going under the 40g... then all that will be in my room tank wise is the 26g and my 3g invert tank!
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Why buy at petsmart and pay more than you would normally? Get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/75-Gallon-Ex...item20c69c0ec3
        -Jonathan

Comment

Ohh pretty haha... honestly I didn't think to look online... I saw one at petsmart that I liked... but this one is half the price.
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

With free shipping. And it is probably bigger.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Probably... I didn't get a good look at it... lol and mom also told me she only wants one tank in the dinning room... so either the 40g or the 29g... and now I don't have room in mhpy room for either... and literally no place else in the house to put the tank... they fit great where they are now though... I am just going to play the I didn't hear what you said thing until she accepts they can't be moved... lol I know i am a bad son but it happens...
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

When are you transferring the fish?
                Are you going to put in a little safe start just to boost the filter? Just asking as you are adding all of the fish at once I have to say I am really really happy that your mum has given you the tank so you can bring home your fish from your mean sibling ( sorry not my place to comment on your brother but next time you see him stick your tongue out at him from me )
                Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM.
                Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I will be transferring them hopefully Tuesday (I am off Tuesday and no school...) and i will be using TSS and MacroBacterum7(read the bottle can be used in saltwater and freshwater) to boost the bacteria. It sucks I can't do it slowly but literally it has too be done sooner rather than later...
                  Oh and dad just came in my room and told me he has a ton of cabnits that came from a hospital when they were doing upgrades to one of the wings and these stands are super heavy duty... we are going to redo my whole room (new sub-flooring and tiles to match my cutains and bed spread, painting the walls, and final touch is the cabnits which will double as dressers and fish stuff holding areas) I'm hoping my room will look pretty sweet when this is all done!

Okay so I am finishing moving my room around and will be moving the 40 to my room tonight... safer to do it this way and save the arguing that would come... besides I would get to stare at them all day long!!! haha... I was thinking of buying a group of koi angels from the lfs the town over for this tank once everyone else is established for like a month... I will try to use my awesome knowledge to sex them from a young age haha!!! I may fail but oh well... how many angels would be okay to add with the stock I have above?
                  Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM. Reason: merged posts
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Why are you redoing your room if you're planning to move?

I wouldn't put more than two angels in a 40g. I'd stick with one personally.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

I am not going to move in the middle of an already paid for semester... that'd be kind of dumb...

And your right no angels it is lol... I'll stick with littler fish :-)
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I almost miss being responsible for only a room.....and the freedom to just move, without plotting for the entire house

Ur prob better off making room for the 40 in ur room......would really suck to set everything up in the living room, anger ur mom, and have to make room in ur bedroom anyways

U could do a dwarf cichlid for a centerpice eventually......rams or apistos
                        36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

My brother has a male apisto really beautiful... I may do a set of those :-)

And i may actually wait til my bestie is out of high school before I move... she wants to move to florida as well :-) would be awesome!!! Plus she loves the fact I have fish... her pare ts won't allow them in the house for some reason...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

May as well resurrect this thread instead of make a new one... so here it goes...

Current stock is
                            14 black skirt tetras
                            2 albino cories (will up to 12 soon)
                            3 rosy minnows
                            1 betta
                            1 clown pleco
                            6 endlers

Lighting... a single t8 bulb unknown and a plant grow bulb that grows my aquatic plants well but I want a ligit fixture of this tank... no idea what to get though...

I'm thinking of pulling all plants from this tank and buying some cholla wood and attaching java ferns and anubia to it and just going for low light wood feel... kinda like the thread on fl called "Roots" I love that tank haha... then I'll reduce the tank inhabitance to a clown pleco, 20 black skirts (15 black skirts 5 white skirts, aka albino) and 12 albino cories the Rosie's are going to visit my brothers Oscar and cresendo will be moved to a separate tank...

I also want to pull the pool sand and replace with white sand as well... I feel it'll make the skirts pop...
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I really like the moss wood combo. Its so much easier to catch everyone if you need to, vs the planted jungle.

Is the pool sand that tan?

Do you get the poop effect on white sand that you do with black? It might show a lot on white white sand.....just like the ever dirty look on the solid black
                              36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Working...
                              X