This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rae's 55g Mess!

So, after seeing so many people with beautiful angelfish, I started to get angel envy and had decided that I absolutely needed a bigger tank.

After scouring around on craigslist for a couple weeks, I finally managed to snag a 55g for 60 bucks from a salty who was using it as a frag tank. The best part? He met me at the big fish store so I immediately went in and purchased a stand and light (2 t5no, going for low light plants still). I then spent the rest of the weekend re-arranging the living room and cleaning the tank. I also painted the background black and got it up on the stand.

Week following that, I started rinsing the black diamond sand (man that stuff is dirty!) while waiting to see when my filter would arrive from ebay. I also started playing with silicone, sand and the pvc curves I had bought thanks to a brilliant suggestion from Matt B.

Today was rock shopping day and guess what showed up in the mail? Yay filter!

Washed some more sand, put some red clay in under the sand for the future plants and started putting everything together. The boyfriend laid the rocks and such because if I don't let him do it, he'll go nuts about how something is a quarter of an inch out of line with something else.

Need to get more suction cups for air tubing.

Oh and the ugly blue thing? Massive sponge filter. Will be hidden later on as more things come in.

I'm still pondering on the stocking. I know for sure of these for stock:
    2 angels
    1 bn pleco
    6 upside down catfish
    MTS

I'm pondering banjo cats or those burmese banded botias that Matt posted about (saw those at a LFS today and went ooo). I also really like the red panda barbs, but they get rather large (5 inches).
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM. Reason: Updated image link so it displays in the thread
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Sounds like a fun project! Always a mess before its put together. I look forward to your updates and more pics!
    Christine

Comment

Great setup you have. It will be fun watching you add to your tank and make your final decisions. I like your stocking choices! I've been considering adding a school of upside down catfish. I find their unique behavior intriguing. As for the loaches, I'll leave that to the others with more experience with them.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

They're honestly adorable, the upside down catfish that is. They even sleep that way, in groups!
        ~Erin
        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

It's looking good Rae are you adding live plants? Some anubias would look lovely in there and some marimos too
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I'm actually planning on buying this: https://www.aquaticjungles.com/aquar...mbo-plant-pack and then going from there to add more individually. Yes, it looks rather bare without plants, but the local stores didn't have anything I wanted that was low light at the moment.

I thought about pulling a couple from my 29g, but they still need to fill out more.
            ~Erin
            10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Thanks for the credits Rae I don't think it looks a mess at all, rather a blank slate to make art with

I don't know much about the upside down cats or how they would interact with BBL's (burmese border loaches) but as far as the having the loaches with the angels, I was advised to get a larger group so they wouldn't pester the angels with their activity and need to be social with other fish. They get about 4-5" long I would say about 6 would be good and you would be full up at that point imo but lets see what more experienced loach keepers have to say.
              __________________________________________________ _____
              Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
              110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

I think every new member here ends up getting angels

The tank looks good and it will be exciting to see it go from no plants, to lots of plants with that plant package. I have orders from Dustin before and his plants are great.

If I may add a stocking suggestion, I think a school of cardinal tetras would look great in your tank with the black substrate and background.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B View Post
                  Thanks for the credits Rae I don't think it looks a mess at all, rather a blank slate to make art with

I don't know much about the upside down cats or how they would interact with BBL's (burmese border loaches) but as far as the having the loaches with the angels, I was advised to get a larger group so they wouldn't pester the angels with their activity and need to be social with other fish. They get about 4-5" long I would say about 6 would be good and you would be full up at that point imo but lets see what more experienced loach keepers have to say.
                  I might skip them then and just go with the banjo cats. Less activity to bother the angels with. Wait until I move, get another bigger tank and put loaches in that And you're very welcome, you have been a great help and a continued inspiration!

Originally posted by dlondon95 View Post
                  I think every new member here ends up getting angels

The tank looks good and it will be exciting to see it go from no plants, to lots of plants with that plant package. I have orders from Dustin before and his plants are great.

If I may add a stocking suggestion, I think a school of cardinal tetras would look great in your tank with the black substrate and background.
                  I'm trying to stay away from the cardinals because of their small size. I know they're bigger than neons, but I still don't want anyone to be a snack!

I'm thinking:
                  2 angels
                  1 bn pleco
                  6 x upside down catfish
                  MTS
                  1-2 banjo cats (still trying to find if they need to be in a group or not)
                  6 (maybe 8) congo tetras (fuller bodied, plus a little bigger than most 2 inch tetras)

I don't mind a bit of over stock as I have plenty of time to keep up with water changes, it will be heavily planted and I have 3 methods of biological filtration (canister, sponge and power head over porous rock). I just don't want to go crazy and crash my tank!
                  ~Erin
                  10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I love watching tanks progress.

A little warning...live plants can get addicting

Comment

Live plants are indeed addicting! I love the way my fish just absolutely love them.

*sigh* Just looked at the congos and decided against them. The angels, being the dominant species in the aquarium as the most aggressive, would cause them to become too shy for my tastes.

That's it, I'm getting purple rasboras and calling it a day on the stocking lol
                      ~Erin
                      10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Great looking tank Rae!! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

Couldn't resist..

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3100024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	137715
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	P3100028.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB