10 gallon low tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 gallon low tech

I am now onto my third redo of the first aquarium that I started with. When it started it was inert gravel, some random plants, and all sorts of other things that just weren't working together well. I tried to revive the tank with some more suitable plants and fertilizing, and that didn't do any good. Then, the tank was torn down and redone with a new substrate when I got tired of the gravel not serving any good purpose. Now, I ended up losing my black orchid betta a few weeks ago to unknown causes, and had an ongoing algae battle that I was losing resulting in another change to what it is below.

Equipment
    - Regular 10 gallon aquarium
    - Aqueon 10 filter
    - Aqueon Pro 50 watt
    - Hanging clamp light with a 23 watt 6500K spiral CFL bulb (hanging 6" above the water)

For the plants
    - Fluval stratum: less than an inch deep in the front sloped up to 3"+ in the back
    - Weekly dosing of Seachem Equilibrium, micros, and KNO3 sparingly
    - Seachem root tabs

Plants
    - Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'red' (I got 9 plants out of the one that I bought today)
    - Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Florida Sunset' (1)
    - Amazon frogbit (will be changed to red root floater)
    - Marimo ball

Other life
    - 1 male crowntail betta
    - a few MTS

Parameters
    - ammonia: 0 ppm
    - nitrites: 0 ppm
    - nitrates: normally 0 ppm, but will be maintaining 5-10 ppm
    - pH: 7.4
    - KH: 8 dH, slowly lowering to 3-4 dH
    - GH: normally 0 ppm, but will be maintaining 2-3 dH

I will be adding more plants as I take them from my other tanks. The driftwood will either get covered in flame moss or peacock moss once I know the algae is done for. I got tired of the hood and lighting setup for doing maintenance or getting any decent light spread, so it is now an open top. The driftwood itself is awesome looking to me, and it even makes a nice cave for the betta (goodbye coconut shell ). With it set up this way I should have a very simple tank to maintain just as long as the plants grow well. Now to wait for it to all slowly fill in.

Florida sunset that I couldn't keep the coloring in, still nice though.
    Last edited by chevyguy8893; 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM.

I hate you >.<

You're low tech tank puts mine to shame.
    -Jonathan

Comment

That is one very nice looking tank .
      __________________________________________________ __________
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It's looking really good ill pick it up when I get the 29 gallon

Looking forward to seeing the plants fill out.
        I'm sorry to hear you lost your other betta

I would love to see some close ups of your crown tail what's his name?
        Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Jon, you got that mixed up . The planted tanks you have posted on here put mine to shame.

Magoo, I guess that will still leave me with two aquariums to work with . Maybe the third time is a charm with changing this tank around, and I can have a crypt jungle . Thanks, I just wish I could have done something to try and save the betta .

I never actually tried naming him, and he is the first fish I got. Here's a picture of him, I only have a few since he isn't photogenic but is very friendly.

This is the black orchid that I had lost.

Comment

He is beautiful. Looks almost like my Simon, except Simon's body is just a touch redder.
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

He is beautiful and your lost boy was too.

I think he should be called Albert he looks like an Albert it's a good strong name

Comment

I second Albert. That is a good betta name. I always stare at mine until they cave and tell me what their names are - so I have Simon, Louie and Sammy (my avatar)
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                  He is beautiful. Looks almost like my Simon, except Simon's body is just a touch redder.
                  Yours sounds like a beautiful fish too . I like the red coloring, so I think it would look good fading into the body color.

Originally posted by oscarsbud View Post
                  I second Albert. That is a good betta name. I always stare at mine until they cave and tell me what their names are - so I have Simon, Louie and Sammy (my avatar)
                  Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                  He is beautiful and your lost boy was too.

I think he should be called Albert he looks like an Albert it's a good strong name
                  Thanks, Albert seems fitting, so that shall be his name from now on . I think this will be the only fish to get a name, most of my others are too hard to tell apart.

They both went together well and got along (through a divider). It was odd seeing Albert swimming by the divider most of the day after I lost the other betta. Before that he always went about his business everywhere else. Now he has the whole tank to himself.

Comment

Albert is a good name

Unfortunately bettas sometimes pass on for no outlining reasons I'm sure he had a good life with you though

Comment

Nice tank and betta! It's gonna be a jungle once those plants fill in. I especially like the driftwood placed right in the center.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                        Albert is a good name

Unfortunately bettas sometimes pass on for no outlining reasons I'm sure he had a good life with you though
                        It is a good name . I sure hope that he had a good life. It seems some of the bettas don't have the best breeding background causing problems .

Originally posted by dlondon95 View Post
                        Nice tank and betta! It's gonna be a jungle once those plants fill in. I especially like the driftwood placed right in the center.
                        Thanks! It will be great when I have a jungle in that tank, and crypts tend to make it look even better. Somehow I put off buying that piece of driftwood for three weeks now, and now I wish I had just bought it when I first saw it. Somehow it seemed perfect.

Oh, if anyone has any suggestions for changes, I am open to them .

Comment

Great Tank!
                          It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                          As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Thanks Anthony! Hopefully I can keep it looking good instead of having algae creep up again...oh how I despise algae .

Comment

Looks great! So sorry to hear about your other betta. I agree Albert is a fitting name.

My suggestion: more plants! I like lots of plants. Maybe some different varieties, like grassy plants and stem plants.

Comment

Working...
                              X