This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akari's 50 gallon

This threat will be to log the adventures that comes with owning my biggest tank yet (not including the ponds, obviously).

Stock:

-1 Common goldfish (3 1/2 inches, male)
    -4 Fancy Goldfish
    ----One-eyed Oranda (2 inches, female. "Dharma.")
    ----One-eyed Telescope (2 inches, male? No name yet...)
    ----White Oranda (2 1/2 inches, female. "Pudge.")
    ----Fantain (1 1/4 inches. No name yet...)
    -3 Platies (1m 2f)
    -2 Zebra Danios (plan on adding a handful of longfinned gold zebras)
    -4 Swam Darters
    -1 Goldspot Sailfin Pleco (5 1/2 inches, female)
    -1 Albino BN Pleco (4 inches, "Ninja")

Plants:

Aponogenton (too many to count...)
    -3 Dwarf Lilies, plus mother bulb
    -5 +/- Amazon and Argentine Swords
    -2 Cyprus Plants
    -3 large Crypt Wendtii
    -XXL Ocelot Sword
    -2 stems of locally collected Anicharis

Lighting:

Odyssea Dual T5's. Purchased the one for a planted tank on eBay. Don't know the wattage or color spectrum...

Filtration:

AquaClear 110
    AquaClear 50
    (Future plans are a canister and possibly a sump)

Current issues:

-Algae!! BBA and Green Spot. I am dosing API CO2 Booster daily and Flourish Comp every other day. Am also considering a group of SAE's, if I can find them locally. Don't know what will eat the Green Spot Algae though....
    -Ammonia. My previous practices of small water changes several times a week were not doing me any good, and it took the near loss of Dharma to realize it! Lesson learned, and that will fix itself with better water changes. Larger weekly water changes from now on.
    -Mystery raised bump on the side of the common goldfish. Looks to be taking care of itself, though. I have meds on hand should it start coming back, or more start coming up on him or the other fish.

Thats all I've got for now. I'll go around my Photobucket and look for pics of everyone, and get new ones as needed when I get home later tonight.

I love how you have the plants set out looks really natural
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Thanks Would you believe me if I told you I made it up as I went? LOL

Comment

Looks like you have made a really good start. It will be really awesome when it starts to fill in.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

It should look really awesome when the plants settle in and start growing again. I put in three whole root tabs (one in each corner and one in the middle) and two partial root tabs that I dug up from the 20 long when I was moving everything over. And I dose Flourish Comp several times a week

Comment

Originally posted by Akari_32 View Post
            Thanks Would you believe me if I told you I made it up as I went? LOL
            That's how I do mine it's more fun that way because you never know how it will end up looking
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

50 Cardinal Tetras and 1 Angelfish and 1 Hillstream Loach... maybe 100 Cardinal Tetras
              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

A) NO!!!
                B) I think the Angel would have a very pretty all you can eat buffet with that XD
                and C) Hillstreams like the buddy system lol

Comment

I think it came out great Akari I reeeaaaalllly like your sump idea given your penchant for goldies.

I got some green spot with that fixture on a 55g running the supplied 6500K's. I started running 2 shorter photoperiods instead of one long one and it helped alot though it was never very bad.
                  __________________________________________________ _____
                  Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                  110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Thanks Matt This stock isn't permanent by any means. The only ones staying long term are Dharma and the Telescope, and the BN, plus another BN. Everything else is going to be either moved to the pond, a different tank, or doesn't really add much to the bioload either way.

I have the lights set to be on 11:30 to 11 with an hour break in the middle. I don't get to see them most of the week during the day, so the break lets me have the lights on longer lol

Comment

Oh thats not so bad then, the only problem I see is that list randomly sprouting new fancies once a week.

Haha! I started scheduling my lighting and siestas for my viewing pleasure too. I figured its all the same to them so might as well schedule the lighting so I can see my tank as much as possible.

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Nice layout
                        Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Matt, I'll have you know I resist the call of those tubby babies at the pet store quite often! Just the other day, in fact, I saw an adorable pearlscale that I about asked for, but instead walked out without him. Funny thing is, I don't really like pearlscales. But he just had the sweetest face!

Thanks NS

Comment

See! Thats what I'm talking about, you don't even like pearlscales yet you almost asked for it! Good job resisting though.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

He had such a cute face, though! A little white nose.... I'm a sucker for little white noses... Lol He was on the slimmer side, as far as Pearlscales go, so he wasnt *as*silly looking lol

Added 6 awesome looking Gold Longfinned Zebra Danios to the tank today. They look fantastic and I love them already!
                              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 04-02-2013, 07:50 PM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

Working...
                              X