This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soarl's 29 Gallon Planted Tank

Well I guess I'll start my own journal here since this seems the place to do such things! Just a bit of background on this "tank" from start to present. Originally my parents picked up a full 10gal setup for a couple bucks at a garage sale. It didn't take me long to realize that a 10 gallon was way to small for my taste and while I was still in the process of a fishless cycle I came across a 20 long with stand and marineland c-160 for $50! I jumped on it and ran with that for a while. Eventually I aquired a 29 gallon from my dad's neighbor for free and that is where I stand now. 29 Gallon's, Black Diamond blasting sand substrate, fish, plants, and ton's of fun!

As of late I've been struggling with algae and I swear as soon as one looks like it's under control another pops up. I also ran myself straight out of CO2 and didn't realize it for a couple days just about a week ago so I'm sure that's when the BBA got a foot hold again. Regardless of the algae in the tank it's thriving and my fish are happy so I'm happy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	141703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	141704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	141705Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	141706Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	141707
    8 GloFish
    6 Glowlight Tetra
    1 Dwarf Gourami
    4 Mystery Snail

Beautiful setup. I love the piece of driftwood in there. And the black substrate really shows off the plants and fish nicely.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Wow, it looks great! I love the anubias. I would consider trying to bury the left end of the wood, since it's cut, so it looks more natural

I don't know why I always got the idea that you were older than me

Comment

Oh I am 36 years young! My parents just got the starter tank because they were garage sailing and I had been talking about starting up the hobby again.

Good suggestion on the wood too. I never liked the cut end but I'm always pulling it out to clean and whatnot.
        8 GloFish
        6 Glowlight Tetra
        1 Dwarf Gourami
        4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Haha I realized that after I posted, just because you mentioned parents doesn't mean you're young or live with them or anything

Comment

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
            Haha I realized that after I posted, just because you mentioned parents doesn't mean you're young or live with them or anything
            Yes yes...lol...they do live near by. We are only about a 5 min drive from them!
            8 GloFish
            6 Glowlight Tetra
            1 Dwarf Gourami
            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Great looking tank!! Love the plants. What are the two types of big leafy plants on the left side? Some behind the wood and the one right next to it.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Very nice! Thanks for starting a journal.
                Christine

Comment

Beautiful tank Soarl everything looks so lush and healthy
                  Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
                    Great looking tank!! Love the plants. What are the two types of big leafy plants on the left side? Some behind the wood and the one right next to it.
                    Thanks!

On the left the taller ones are Cardinal plants (Lobelia cardinalis) then the shorter bushier ones are Compact Corymbosa (Hygrophila Corymbosa var Compact). I used to think they were Petite Nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite') but i'm pretty confident the Corymbosa is the correct id.
                    8 GloFish
                    6 Glowlight Tetra
                    1 Dwarf Gourami
                    4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Thanks! I really want some Compact Corymbosa lol. It looks awesome! Reminds me of Temple Plants but hopefully not as invasive lol.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Tank is beautifully done!!!
                        It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                        As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94 View Post
                          Thanks! I really want some Compact Corymbosa lol. It looks awesome! Reminds me of Temple Plants but hopefully not as invasive lol.
                          I like it too. It propagates very easily and is a fairly fast grower. I cut all mine in half and they bushed out like that. Just left a couple of big leaves on the top and shoved the stem in the substrate.
                          8 GloFish
                          6 Glowlight Tetra
                          1 Dwarf Gourami
                          4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Just a quick photo update. Not much going on lately. I did re-position my wood to make it stand more upright and I thinned out the plants on the left and re-positioned the chain sword. One of these days I need to completely re-scape the whole thing but that's going to be a project and a half!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	138224
                            8 GloFish
                            6 Glowlight Tetra
                            1 Dwarf Gourami
                            4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Very Nice
                              It does not matter if you are right or wrong...
                              As long as you learn and Keep Moving Forward!

~Anthony

Comment

Working...
                              X