This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150G Planted Journal

I figured that now that I am using ferts on a regular basis, I would start this to keep track of how they are doing and get help when needed. Right now I am still using all the Flourish products but after they are gone I am going to start with the dry ones. I was going to post a picture to start, but may have made a serious mistake. Here goes:

I have snails up the wazoo in this tank. The mts, ramshorns and pond snails multiply every time you blink. I also had 5 mystery snails. I don't know how old 2 of them were, but the 3 purple ones were only about 4 months old. I got them from a member on another forum. The shells on the mysteries started looking pale and getting streaks through them. Then the 2 I got from the lfs and 1 of the purple ones died. A calcium test kit is the only one I don't have yet but I thought maybe it was a calcium deficiency. I feed zucchini and cucumber on a regular basis but I read somewhere that adding calcium pills to the tank would help. When I did my water change this morning, I cleaned out the HOB filter like usual and then put a small mesh bag with a handful of calcium tablets in it. I should mention that the lights were out when I did this because I did the wc during the lights off period. When the lights came back on the entire tank was so cloudy you could barely see into the back of the tank. I opened the HOB and pulled out the mesh bag and all the pills had pretty much melted and sent the whole mess into the tank.

I imagine this will clear up eventually, but is all that calcium going to hurt the plants or fish? It doesn't seem to be bothering anybody so far. They are all acting like there is nothing out of the ordinary going on.

Did I get some misinformation or did I just do it wrong? I have a cuttlebone in the other tank, but I saw the pills, remembered reading about them and figured I had them, might as well use them.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

You don't need a Calcium Test kit that is what the KH Test kit is for. Check the KH.
    Christine

Comment

Thank you. I'm still not completely up to snuff on what these tests show, except for the obvious. I never took chemistry in school and wasn't real crazy about biology either. The tank is clearing up slowly but surely. I will wait until the water is cleared up, probably tomorrow, and run a test then. Right at the moment I am pretty sure it will test quite high.
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Ok, the tank cleared up nicely. I did all the tests I needed to, I think. I hope I did them right. Now I have to do research to find out what is supposed to be normal for the phosphates, KH, GH and Iron.

Here are the results:

Temperature - 78.4
        pH - 7.4
        Ammonia - 0
        Nitrite - 0
        Nitrate - 10
        Phosphate - 2
        KH - 7
        GH - 9
        Iron - .1
        Chelated Iron - .05

This is what the tank looks like:

Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Your tank looks beautiful Lori gorgeously natural

I don't know what the readings mean I only have my api liquid test kit
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

That's what I have - the liquid test kits for everything but the iron. I know what the ranges should be for the tests in the master kit, but as far as the KH, GH, phosphate and iron goes I am really dense when it comes to stuff like that.
            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Your tank looks great!

All your readings look good but Magnesium is on the low end. Which is the GH test.

KH measures Carbonate Hardness; Calcium.

GH measures both Calcium and Magnesium.

See how your KH is 7* and your GH is 9*. That indicates to me there is mostly calcium and low Magnesium. Just keep an eye on the parameters for now.

Magnesium deficiency are yellow patches on leaves and yellowing leaves with green veins. It sometimes can look like Iron deficiency because Magnesium is important for plants to absorb iron.

Epsom Salts can be added for Magnesium.
              Christine

Comment

There is probably mostly calcium because of all the calcium pills I had stuck in the filter the day before . So I should have gotten the pills that had magnesium too? Then I might have been okay.

So with the KH & GH, the lower the number the greater the concentration?
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I just ordered the dry ferts from GLA. I am going to continue to use the other stuff until it's all gone and then I will probably stick with Excel as opposed to co2 for a while. I don't know that I really need it anyway. From all I've read it seems I have medium lighting in my tank so I should be ok.
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

With KH and GH, a higher number is a higher concentration. There should be a chart in the box that translates degrees to ppm if that makes more sense, since we use ppm a lot.

Since KH measures only calcium, you know the 7* is taken up by calcium. GH measures calcium and magnesium, and yours was 9*, but we already know that the calcium is 7*, so the magnesium might be only 2*. I'm not sure if you can add them up like that and be perfectly accurate, but it's a good estimate at least.

Beautiful tank! I love your angels

Comment

Sounds like you've been having quite the struggle lately.

A few thing that need to be clarified....

KH is the measure of carbonates. It does not differentiate calcium carbonate from other forms. The carbonate levels should be stable. Run the test against untreated tap. Should match that of your tank. If tank levels begin to drop this is an indication that your plants need more CO2 as they will begin to break down carbonate for a carbon source. You want at least 4 degrees, so you are good.

GH measures both calcium and magnesium. Being as you just dumped tons of calcium into your tank it is hard to say; but I would suspect it was in shortage with all the snails. Again test untreated tap to know what you are working with. Need 4 degrees here too; so you are good for now.

There are many ways to raise these hardness levels, but will hold off to not overload you

Phosphates should be 2-5 ppm if you follow the scale I use. Many dosing plans have different levels, some even suggest 0, but that does not work IME. Your levels are good.

Iron should be 0.1 ppm. Looking good.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

The KH in my tap water is 125.3 - same as the tank
                        The GH in my tap water is 143.2 - that is 1 drop less than it was in the tank when I tested it.

So these are good levels to have then? I shouldn't be putting any more calcium in the water? I know my mts and ramshorns are doing great in there, but the mysteries seem to be having a problem. I am down to only 2 left, I think.
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Could you put your mysteries in with someone else to maybe perk them up?

Comment

They weren't doing well in the 75G tank either. I guess I could try them out in Sammy's tank and see how he takes to them. Louie and Simon both have pygmy cories in their tank and I don't want to add any more.
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

You could try moving one and if all goes well move the other too I've been wondering how your boys are doing I think we could do with a Lori betta gang update

Comment

Working...
                              X