150G Dirted Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150G Dirted Tank

As some of you may have read on the other forum site, I have been having a bit of a time with my tank setup. I just typed a whole big long thing about it and managed to lose the whole thing. Seems to be the trend with this tank - Murphy's Law hard at work.

Anyway the tank is up and running. I am using 2 canister filters and 1 HOB. I wanted to have angelfish as my centerpiece fish, but so far I have lost 7 including the one that was in my 70 gallon tank and doing really well. I am hoping it is just because the tank isn't established enough yet.

There was the fiasco with the cichlid capture. If you want a good laugh, go to the other site and read that one. At the end of that mess I ended up with no tunnel, not as much driftwood and smaller caves than I started out with.

Right now I have 4 serpae tetras, 6 black skirt tetras, 3 albino cories, 2 platies, 3 molly fry and 2 BN plecos which I absolutely love. They are so cool and are doing a great job of keeping down the algae in the tank. I plan on getting 3 more albino cories and 6 of another type. And I will also get 2 more serpae tetras to round out that school.

I wanted a heavily planted tank. Not sure if that is going to happen right away. 2 of the plants I got (that the lfs swore were aquatic) turned out not to be. But I have some java fern that is doing ok, some swords, bacopia and something else that I can't remember the name of. I also have some java moss on one of the rocks and on the driftwood. And I also attempted a java tree with it. We'll see how that goes.

This is a short video of what the tank looks like now. I tried getting both plecos in the picture, but the one is camera shy and hides under the driftwood whenever I come close to the front with the camera. And I also can't figure out how to put the video directly on the page so I am providing a link. Sorry.

http://youtu.be/n2oHBVXgYzg
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Re: 150G Dirted Tank

I embedded the video for you.

[youtube:38zv19o1]n2oHBVXgYzg[/youtube:38zv19o1]

Sorry about your Angels.
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. I tried using the embed button on youtube and it didn't work for me. I know I was doing something simple wrong, but the simplest things are the things that get me in the most trouble .
      Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

To post a video here, you just need the video code. Your code was n2oHBVXgYzg

in the full editor there is a youtube button. You paste n2oHBVXgYzg in between the two youtube brackets.
        Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Now I got it. I went to youtube and saw what the code was so I could see where you started it out. I was taking out too much of the beginning of the letters for it to work.
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Originally posted by oscarsbud
            Now I got it. I went to youtube and saw what the code was so I could see where you started it out. I was taking out too much of the beginning of the letters for it to work.
            I had a hard time figuring it out at the beginning, I was putting the entire code in...

Your tank is looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion
              Originally posted by oscarsbud
              I had a hard time figuring it out at the beginning, I was putting the entire code in...

Your tank is looking good.
              That's what I was doing and then I was taking out too much of the code.

Thanks - Tank is slowly getting there. I still want to make a few changes but am going to wait until it is more established. I am still getting bubbles coming up through the sand and gravel but I think that is being caused by the plastic mesh I put on top of the potting soil before I added the other substrate. I give it all a good poke once in a while and it shoots up big bubbles. It doesn't seem to bother them. The cories have been right on top of a bubble eruption and it didn't faze them in the least.
              Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

I stopped at a PetSmart after my dentist appointment this morning. They didn't have any serpae tetras or albino cories. They did have some angelfish but they weren't looking too good so I left empty handed. Then I stopped at another lfs on my way home. The serpae tetras were 3/something so I got 3 of them. And I got 2 albino cories. Wanted 3, but watching the budget this pay period. They also had beautiful little koi angelfish, but I stayed strong and left them there.

When I got home, I acclimated everybody for about an hour and then dipped them in. The tetras grouped right up with the others and right now they are having a blast zipping back and forth across the tank. Must be quite a treat to go from 10 gallons to 150. And the albinos are doing what they do, storming up and down the sides of the tank and checking out all the nooks and crannies.

Fingers crossed that they all make it okay.
                Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Your tank is coming along.....it looks good.
                  Christine

Comment

On Friday morning I went to Petsmart to pick up some more grass-type plants for the tank. Turns out the one I bought is a high-light plant so I put it in the 10G instead, hoping it will do better there. Anyway, I was looking around and they had some nice looking smaller angelfish - maybe a tad bigger than a nickel. It has been almost a month since my last angels died and I haven't lost anybody since. All my water readings have been good so I thought I would chance it and buy 2 of them. I acclimated them for almost 2 hours and put them in. They had been doing good. Yesterday morning I couldn't find the black one. Looked for it off and on all day but couldn't find it. This morning, when I went to feed them, it was swimming up near the top of the tank. Its dorsal fin and tail fins were almost completely gone. And the long tendril fins (whatever they are called) were completely gone as well. I scooped it up and put it in a 5G tank that I had set up but I don't think it's going to make it. I'm not sure, but I am thinking that the serpae tetras may have had something to do with it, although why they would just target one and not the other is beyond me. My husband really likes the tetras, but I told him that if they are what is standing between me having or not having angelfish, they are heading back to the lfs.
                    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Any fish known to be fin nippers are iffy with angels. Something attacked that poor little guy to have lost his fins overnight like that.

Hope your other angel does better.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

I haven't been having the best luck in the world with my plans for this tank. It was supposed to be heavily planted, but I haven't quite got that far yet. I did get some more java ferns for the reef and am expecting some more moss, I think, in the next couple of days. Can't really remember, but it's short and green.

I think I have finally succeeded in keeping an angel. It has been almost 2 weeks since he/she arrived. There were 2, but unfortunately one of them got bullied to death, I am pretty sure by the serpae tetras. They don't seem to bother this one. It goes after them more than the other way around. I am hoping to be able to get some more before too long. However, I have been reading conflicting stories. One spot says they should only be kept in pairs, another says only 1 and still another says that you can have as many as room allows. So, as usual, I am confused again (you'd think I'd be used to it by now )

Here is a short video of the tank as it looks now.

[youtube:28zb8795]DKG6IVkVlek[/youtube:28zb8795]
                        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Your tank is looking great.

@Angels I think having 1 is okay, but stocking suggestion is 1, 2, 4, 6....

Matt informed me that dime size Angels do best in groups of 6 according to what a breeder told him.

Comment

But if I get them that small, I am afraid of bullying by the tetras. And I'm not going to want to get rid of any of them if they all make it. Will they be okay as a group when they get bigger?
                            Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

If you are keeping angels in the 150G tank you will not have any issues keeping 6-10 angels in a community tank. Once they mature, when it comes time to breed, there may be some squabbling; but it will quickly subside after they spawn and the eggs are lost to the community.

While the Tetras may be an issue, keeping a small group of angels usually helps to dissipate the nipping, if it occurs at all. The angels will school together loosely.
                              - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                              Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                              Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X