Amazon River Basin Biotope

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon River Basin Biotope

Alright so I am going to turn my 40 into a biotope :-)

Stock
    20 skirt tetra (15 black skirts 5 white skirts) they should all still school regardless of color
    10-12 albino cities (managed to get a rain check on the albinos for $1 at pet smart :-) I planned to get 8-10 more)
    1 clown pleco (I never see her anyways lol)
    MTS I know its not 'tope but it the only snail I can think of from the area...

Plants currently in the tank are
    Crypt parva
    Dwarf lily (not so dwarf IMO)
    Water sprite
    Wisteria
    Vals
    Aspotogen(sp)
    Pennywort

I'm not sure what of those plants are Amazonian so I'll need to do more searching g on that...

Right now I have just a plan t8 bulb so what lighting fixture can I use to make this a high light tank? Or at least medium light... (cheap if possible...)

I need way more filtration... I want to try for clear water setup (lol) so anyone know any good filters and cheap also. I'd like at least 2 to go along with my. Current aqueon hob....

I'm not sure if I am missing anything so if you guys do notice something please let me know :-)
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Albino cities huh?
    ~Erin
    10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Ugh you guys all know of my auto-correct issues xD so yes albino cities.... :P
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

wow cool your going to have cities in there, now THAT will be a big tank.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Anyways....
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Im about as bad at doing bio types as I am at spelling...
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Lol yeah I didn't think my betta one would turn out so well... right now its 80% rotala lol
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Very interesting! However there is a flaw in your plan. Black Skirts aren't native to the Amazon River and Crypt Parva are from Sri Lanka.
                -Jonathan

Comment

I've seen a bunch of threads of amazon biotope with black skirts listed as stocking.... Hmmm well the.skirts are my main focus (since I've got 14 of them already lol)... What type of.biotope can I do for them?

And I said I needed to research the.plants in the tank now lol... I know parva is southeast Asian I'm using some in ky betta tank lol...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I don't believe they were originally found in the Amazon but they're found in several rivers around SA. I think they were first discovered in Paraguay. Now they can be found in the wild in Thailand .
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Hmm well did a little more searching they are found in subtropical river basins... Maybe I can change the tope to a subtropical river basin but I'll need to figure out if cories are found in them as well...

I also read that mystery snails are found in river basins... Or am I confusing scientific names? Briggs(sp) ?

Would the clown pleco be okay in the sub tropical temps... I plan to keep the tank about 75*

I like Asia but I'd like a different tope then what my bettas have... And better planted lol...
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Badmans lists 75-82. Wikipedia lists 78-82 (which doesn't make much sense.) Planted Tank lists 23-28 C (I'm too lazy to convert right now.)
                        ~Erin
                        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

I know 23c is 73f... I got her from Jon so I'll ask him about it...

And since I'll be moving in less than a week I can get this started middle of next month or sometime in June well plant wise I can start fish wise its to late lol...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post

Plants currently in the tank are
                            Crypt parva
                            Dwarf lily (not so dwarf IMO)
                            Water sprite
                            Wisteria
                            Vals
                            Aspotogen(sp)
                            Pennywort
                            You might want to rethink your plants if you are doing an Amazonian Biotope:

Crypt parva- Aisa
                            Water sprite- Asia
                            Water Wisteria- Asia
                            Vals-Asia
                            Aponogetons -most I've seen are from Madagascar
                            Pennywort-all over except South America

If you are considering doing an Amazonian Biotope, I would suggest making a riparium and have lots of root wood in the water with leaf litter.
                            Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

When you quoted that you left out that I need to research if any of those are compatible with the biotope... But thanks for telling me their locations I'll be sure to rid myself of them soon... How big of a tank would I need to do a riparium as I had planned to keep my stock I listed in the first post... Mostly because I already have 14 black skirts and I don't want to lower the water at all on the 40...
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X