3 Gallon Nano Tank build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Gallon Nano Tank build

So, I was one of those folks who ordered the 3 Gallon Nano Tank from Groupon last weekend. Should be getting it in two weeks. It comes with LED lighting and 3i tetra whisper filter.

My first step:
    1. Orderd Cholla wood yesterday for a driftwood piece in the tank.

2. Went to PetSmart today and bought a filter cartridge that fits the 3i filter and put the new filter cartridge in my canister filter (also perform maintenance on my canister today, planned it perfectly) for seeding. Some say 4 weeks is an adequate time to get seeded but I usually go on the realm of caution and do 6 weeks. Love instant cycles.

3. Researching at the moment for nano lights (not using the light it comes with because I want to plant dwarf baby tears for a carpet) and substrate.

Thinking dirting it, can I use this as my dirt substrate?

[attachment=0:am0onz7z]DSC06397.JPG[/attachment:am0onz7z]

The package says Nitrolized Shavings: A versatile, fir derived compost.

4. Stocking: Not sure at the moment, but will be invertebrates (not neocaridina shrimps, definitely not snails and possibly not caridina shrimps either). I have my eye on a particular invertebrate specie. (Perhaps I can do a profile write up this specie since I don't know anyone who has them)

5. Plants: Definitely Baby Tears, not sure on the others though.

Re: 3 Gallon Nano Tank build

To get the Baby tears to carpet you will need HIGH light. My LFS has some that do it and with the standard light on the I think Fluval edge tanks (about 3-5 gal) PLUS the ambient shop lighting they do a decent job at it.

I will say it looks really kick tail thou! It has made me want to get some for my little 10gal that is well over lit lol
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Very interesting. I agree with Jim on the lighting. HC does best when grown in a terrarium. They do really well in very damp environments but not completely submerged. I believe it comes from an environment where it is underwater for a couple of weeks or months a year. Not positive. I know it grows in the streams and edges of streams in FL!

What kind of "particular invert"? I may have kept it before, who knows .
      -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
        Very interesting. I agree with Jim on the lighting. HC does best when grown in a terrarium. They do really well in very damp environments but not completely submerged. I believe it comes from an environment where it is underwater for a couple of weeks or months a year. Not positive. I know it grows in the streams and edges of streams in FL!

What kind of "particular invert"? I may have kept it before, who knows .
        Maybe I should get you to grab some free HC for me.

Knowing you, you probably had them before: Limnopilos naiyanetri?

Comment

The nitrolized shavings may have too many organics.

Comment

Originally posted by QQQUUUUAADDD
            The nitrolized shavings may have to many organics.
            I was thinking the same thing as well.

Comment

I've kept those before. Didn't enjoy them too much but I didn't spend a lot of time with them. You'll need a nice sized group. Be sure to have either water lettuce or water hyacinth in the tank for them.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Here is the top view.

[attachment=1:vktsvjnq]Nano 1.jpg[/attachment:vktsvjnq]

Here I put syran wrap for humidity.
                [attachment=0:vktsvjnq]Nano 2.jpg[/attachment:vktsvjnq]

Using DSM so i can grow out my HC faster and let their roots take a hold into the substrate.

Comment

Update on my nano tank. Haven't filled it with water yet. The HC died down initially as expected but now is spreading. The bacopa is growing wild. I lifted the tank and I have an extensive root system from the bacopa.

[attachment=1:1bg5uel7]IMG_20121204_154513.jpg[/attachment:1bg5uel7]

[attachment=0:1bg5uel7]IMG_20121204_155428[1].jpg[/attachment:1bg5uel7]

Comment

wow that tank looks great!
                    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Very very nice. Love the look of the HC. How about getting a poison dart frog and leaving it like that lol?
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                        Very very nice. Love the look of the HC. How about getting a poison dart frog and leaving it like that lol?
                        I actually thought about it but the risk would be to much IMO and buying a mister. I don't want that rare chance that it might escape and my dogs will get it.

I am waiting until the HC covers the entire floor until I fill it with water and by that time I will alot of Bacopa Mag. to give away. I kind of dig the tank without water.

Comment

Captive dart frogs are not poisonous.
                          Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Originally posted by Cichlidnut
                            Captive dart frogs are not poisonous.
                            That i didn't know....that is good to know.

Comment

They get their poison from the insects that they eat. We don't feed them anything that has poison in it.
                              Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Working...
                              X