Teeny biotype

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeny biotype

Hey guys! I saw a small tank at a thriftstore today so I snatched it up. Not bad for $5. It's 3g, I think, and came with a small filter and T5 daylight. Kinda cool looking tank. Slightly bowed in the front. I was planning on making a mini biotype out of it but first decided to play with my heaters. I have a reptile tank heater which is basically a flat piece of plastic which gets warm lol. I have it sitting under my tank and the water is nice and warm! I still need to check exact temp to see if it is safe though. Some pictures:

-Jonathan

Re: Teeny biotype

Cute little tank! What will you do with it? Move your growing blue shrimp colony?
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

nice looking little tank for the price. I have used some of those heaters before and the water temps seem just fine with them. I have one that is made for being in the water and have used another matt like yours is.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thanks! My blue shrimps died after a couple weeks. No idea why. So I'm not sure what I want to do with this tank. I was thinking of trying to set up a separate SW just to see if something is wrong with the equipment in my other one.
        -Jonathan

Comment

That's a 3 gallon MarineLand Eclipse I have one that's second hand, and was first used as a neglected SW tank. Then I used it for a few years, then gave it to a friend, who used it for a year, and then she gave it back to me, then I used it for a few months, put it away for a while, used it again for about a year, then the filter finally started going bad (still works if I need it to, though!). It's a great little tank they were $60 new, back in the day

That heater may not work anymore. Once they have been removed from the surface they were stickied to, the wires in side break apart because they are so small.

Comment

Thanks! I'll remember that lol. Filter on mine still seems to work well. The heater works as well! Keeping the tank very warm. I could probably grow some HC in this tank really easily.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
              Thanks! I'll remember that lol. Filter on mine still seems to work well. The heater works as well! Keeping the tank very warm. I could probably grow some HC in this tank really easily.
              Sure thing! I tried to replace the impeller on mine and it would have been like $20 bucks said and done, so I just bought a new tank LOL Ended up with a 5.5 kit from PetSmart :P My filter makes a horrible choppy grinding noise if the impeller gets knocked out of place @.@

That's good that the heater still works! They can be tricky once they have been removed from their original surfaces. The heating elements are so thin and delicate. What's it keeping the water at?

Comment

Lol I need to buy a new impeller for my AquaClears. They make a lot of noise. Except for the very smallest one I have. That one is so silent I can't tell it is running without touching the side.

Good question. I should check the temp lol.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                  Lol I need to buy a new impeller for my AquaClears. They make a lot of noise. Except for the very smallest one I have. That one is so silent I can't tell it is running without touching the side.

Good question. I should check the temp lol.
                  I need to clean mine before they break and I have to buy new ones LOL I love how quite they are though, even when they are clogged up! ACs have to be one the best filters out there, followed pretty closely by those little MarineLand Eclipse filters XD

If your tank was glass, I'd be telling you not use that heater with that tank (they aren't recommended to use with tanks filled with water) but since it's acrylic, I'm curious to see how woks for you.

Comment

Grrr I HATE reading those little thermometer things! Help?

12 hours after being added the leaves are doing their job lol\
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I know, I know!

Make a glass of ice water (mostly ice), stir it up for a few seconds, and then put both thermometers in and see which one gets closest to 32 Or boil a pot and water and see which gets closest to whatever the boiling temp is..... I was in a culinary class for 3 years, I know the boiling point of water.... <.<

Comment

lol thats exactly how you calibrate a thermometer in a kitchen, great job!

It seems yours are off by about 2 degrees which is within tollerance range for thermometers of that type, you have one at 86 and the other at about 84 thou it dropped faster than the other.
                        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

LOL I know how to calibrate them but I can't read the stupid little things lol. I need a digital thermometer. You know... Christmas is coming up *hint hint*.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

You should tell you Father that
                            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                            Socrates

Comment

LOL Very funny! I have a better chance at getting a private jet than I do a digital thermometer lol.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X