5G RCS Tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5G RCS Tank

Heres A 5G I set up for the RCS I got from Dena.
    Gonna get a few more plants for them in there soon.
    [album:25mw3jix]133[/album:25mw3jix]
    Matt

Re: 5G RCS Tank

Oh, when the berried female releases her eggs you will have an explosion of babies in there. Tank looks great!
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
      Oh, when the berried female releases her eggs you will have an explosion of babies in there. Tank looks great!
      Will they hatch all at the same time or can they hatch a day apart? cause I noticed her clutch under her getting smaller but there were some eggs still just not all of them, and some tiniest little babies roaming around.

Also had a question about them molting, does it look like a dead corpse after? Just making sure cause I think one molted already, just thought it was a dead one for a minute.
      Matt

Comment

I honestly don't know how long it can take them to release all their eggs. Maybe someone else can answer that one!

Yes, sounds like one has molted already. It will look like a hollow shell of the shrimp. If it died then it will become a solid white. The live shrimps will eat the molt and the dead ones for protein.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Congrats on the new shrimp! LOL Sounds like my lines are getting all over the place, eh Dena?

Sometimes females won't release all her eggs at once. Try adding a calcium source to the tank. They like releasing babies on those.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Yes, these are from your shrimp Jonathan, but I don't have any that are super-sized like you had though. I found a breeder with Fire Reds in Portland. I want to add them to the gene pool.
            - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
              Congrats on the new shrimp! LOL Sounds like my lines are getting all over the place, eh Dena?

Sometimes females won't release all her eggs at once. Try adding a calcium source to the tank. They like releasing babies on those.
              Thank you. Can you give an example for a calcium source?
              Matt

Comment

crushed coral, and I beleive egg shells are a way to do it. Jon will have a better answer im sure.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Be careful adding something to raise the calcium because it will raise the hardness and in turn raise the pH. Use caution!

Things that will help are:

Crushed coral

Eggshells, boiled to remove any raw egg remnants. Place into a media bag and drop in the filter.

Pure limestone or limestone based rock. I have CaCO3 powder that I add to maintain the hardness levels with my soft water

Add a few seashells

If you want to raise the magnesium level, then use Epsom Salt
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

You can also add cuttlefish bone that you can get at the Pet Stores usually for birds and turtles for added Calcium. Spinach is another source for calcium and I know my shrimps love to chow down on it.

From my experience, the eggs don't usually hatch all at the same time....they can be minutes, hours or days apart from hatching.

The molt looks like an empty shell not a dead corpse.

Comment

Woot came home and my little shrimplets were hungry, I dropped a peice of rapashy in the tank within minutes all the little babys were on it I counted 14 so there were more then I thought, oh and a female has eggs so there should be even more soon yayayay!! So cool such a good surprise to come home too, ofc here's some pics.

[album:2u8hyc0u]181[/album:2u8hyc0u][album:2u8hyc0u]182[/album:2u8hyc0u]
                      Matt

Comment

Nice, that is a good surprise to come home to.

I love the one in the second pic looking up kinda like hey what are you doing.
                        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

found another rcs carrying eggs today so that makes two,
                          tank will be exploding with rcs,

Hey I was thinking of getting a couple different RCS from the LFS, help strengthen the bloodline, you think that would be a good idea?
                          Matt

Comment

Nice!

Hm... I dunno. What do they look like? My line (which you have now) was a strong sakura bloodline so if you get lesser colored shrimp then you could loose the enhanced red.
                            -Jonathan

Comment

Maybe I will do it with just a few and put them in there own tank so I don't taint this bloodline.
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X