This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emersed plant journal

This may not be an aquarium, but it it involves plants for it for the most part. As some may already know, I have been growing aquatic plants emersed since BBA destroyed most of my tank a few months ago. While the setup I have going currently works out fine, it is taking up my work area in the basement. So, using the space I had above and below my 20 gallon I set up two humidity domes, each running a single 18" 17 watt T5HO with a 6500K bulb. I will be working on transferring the plants over the next few days after I find a bigger surge protector. I am a beginner with this, so this is bound to change a lot.

The Setup
    - Two single bulb 18" SunBlaster T5HO lights with a Nanotech reflector
    - SunBlaster humidity domes that have areas for the fixtures to sit on top
    - 1 airpump to move the water around
    - I will run them without the heaters to see what they maintain for temperature
    - Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix
    - Weekly changes of water using old tank water from the 20 gallon, gotta get the most out of the dry ferts

Current Plants
    - Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'
    - Cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'
    - Hemianthus callitrichoides (baby tears)
    - Moneywort
    - Java moss
    - Fissidens moss
    - Ludwigia Repens

I am working on finding some other stem plants to grow in this, and will probably pick up some small amounts of other various mosses to grow. As for what I will do with all of it, some will go in my tanks, some may be given away or sold, and all of it is done for fun and keeping my mind occupied. In the end, it is just another project to learn from that I may be able to apply to my degree. I am open to any opinions on the setup.

Work in progress, and a complete mess.

Some of the plants from the update I did.

Re: Emersed plant journal

Looks awesome
    Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Nice setup!! Plants look great.

Comment

Great project! Love the look of those plants . You should try to make a terrarium with emersed plants and poison-dart frogs!
        -Jonathan

Comment

Thanks everyone, this new setup should be a lot more organized than my current one, I never thought it would even work. I've been reading through all sorts of ideas of what I could do with the plants and a terrarium, or vivarium, is actually one of the top thoughts. I'm still trying to figure out the basics of keeping poison dart frogs and setting up their habitat. I kinda like the high humidity and running water in a vivarium. Plus, I have a lot of riccia that would be perfect in it, and the moneywort would look awesome as a vine. This may not be a good thought, but maybe I could do one poison dart frog in a 20L and set up the vivarium substrate around the frog's needs. There is just so many possibilities lol.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
            Great project! Love the look of those plants . You should try to make a terrarium with emersed plants and poison-dart frogs!
            I think somebody likes poison dart frogs
            Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Course I do! Who doesn't?
              -Jonathan

Comment

Awesome project so far the plants look amazing!
                Matt

Comment

looking good!
                  -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                  If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                  Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The new setup isn't being used yet, I found out yesterday that not only trying to find basic plastic planters locally is impossible it seems to also mean I am trying to grow something "illegal". Needless to say there were a lot of businesses that gave me some horrible attitudes and really had to know what I was growing to chose a container. There was shock and confusion when I just said I am growing emersed aquatic plants. I found some cheap, simple, containers on amazon that I ordered.

Anyway, I got some trimming out of the way to get rid of some dead leaves, and added a temporary pot for growing some bare stems of limnophilia aromatica (if it makes it) and rotala rotundifolia. The crypts have filled in very well and still need to be split up, the moneywort grows like a vine to other pots and takes root, and the other stem plants still look the same, just bigger.

Java moss

1 cryptocoryne plant in a 4 inch diameter pot

Another crypt

Little pieces of HC

Comment

Those plants look very healthy, and happy to be in those pots for now.
                      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                      Socrates

Comment

have come crypts!!!
                        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

I think the plants have outgrown their pots already, the roots for the crypts have grown at least 3 inches out of the bottom. These need to go into a tank or something lol. Now I just need to apply the healthy growth skill to my aquariums.

Comment

Nah, you're aquarium would be too crowded with all those crypts. You should send them to me!
                            -Jonathan

Comment

There is no doubt about that, these things are bigger than my little 4" tall amazon sword lol. There may be some rooted stems and crypts coming up here after I get the new humidity domes going so I have space for other plants .

Comment

Working...
                              X