125G and 90G....Filter Swapping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 125G and 90G....Filter Swapping

Lord, I am tired!!! Today I finally felt like myself and decided to tackle the 2 largest tanks. Both were weeks overdue for water changes and basic filter maintenance. Big, BIG mistake! I feel like garbage again. Anyway.......

Today I did the following:

*80% water change on the 125G
    *Rinsed the filter sponges. They were clogged and stinky! Did this on both the XP3 and one Magnum
    *Swapped the Rena XP3 for the Magnum 350 w/biowheels
    *Ordered a new Rena XP4 on eBay. Found them for only $168!!! This will go on the 125G and I will be retiring the Magnums. I am tired of twice weekly maintenance on them.

Then, like a fool, I started working on the 90G

*Clipped the overgrown plants. Dropped clippings into a 5G bucket temporarily
    *80% water change on the 90G
    *Fought with the Amazon Swords. I cannot get them to stay put! They are simply too big for my tank. Gravel bed isn't deep enough

This is when I hit that brick wall that makes you want to drop dead. But I still had to prime the XP3 on the 90G and set up the Magnum on the 125G. Ran out of steam and gave up on attempting to get the swords to stay put; and dropped all the clipping into the tank. I will have to dig them out again tomorrow and get the stem plants back into the substrate.

Here are the BEFORE pictures on the 90G. Taken yesterday when I thought I was going to start this.

Look at that mess floating on the water surface! There is more plant matter floating that actually planted...lol

Coffeefolia plant

Blooming for the first time

Look at all that floating plant matter!

Here's a couple of the fish in my 125G

The largest angel I have. He is really starting to bulk up. Closing in on an inch between his eyes. He is huge!
    - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
    Socrates

Re: 125G and 90G....Filter Swapping

Great pictures!! Love the SD one lol. I'm sure all your fishes are very very happy that you worked on their tanks, even though you feel terrible now haha. I've gotta do that tomorrow! And figure out what's eating my plants.... grrr lol.
    -Jonathan

Comment

That's a big Angel! Nice. You've got so many plants!
      Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

Thanks guys! I also have my smaller tanks with the fry to deal with tomorrow. I am so far behind on water changes that the fry have greatly slowed their growth.

And, I need to do some baking for Christmas. I work Monday and won't have much of a chance then.
        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Sounds like you've got your hands full. I hope you get better soon.
          Information about Duplicate Posts

Comment

You can do it Dena!!! hope you get some good rest and feel better!!
            Sorry you have to work Monday thats a bummer, and probably have to head right back Wednesday ? well hope you get feeling better soon, Merry Christmas!!
            oh thought id ask if you wanna donate A magnum to me or I might be able to come up with a lil bit of money for it I could definitely put it to use
            Matt

Comment

Im sure the fish are quite happy with their clean homes again. Your plants look great as always!

I gotta laugh I have a few plants that just refuse to stay where I put them, so I got out the rocks haha.
              -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
              If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
              Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
              Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Wow! Look at that planted tank, so many floaters!

Look at those SDs. I've been going a couple of weeks before water change on my 125g.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
                Christine

Comment

Originally posted by M0T0
                  You can do it Dena!!! hope you get some good rest and feel better!!
                  Sorry you have to work Monday thats a bummer, and probably have to head right back Wednesday ? well hope you get feeling better soon, Merry Christmas!!
                  oh thought id ask if you wanna donate A magnum to me or I might be able to come up with a lil bit of money for it I could definitely put it to use
                  Yep. I work Monday and Wednesday. When you work for a company that does 80% of its yearly sales this quarter it isn't much choice. That's why my family has always come to my house for the holiday.

Once the new filter arrives, we can work something out. I have something like 6 water polishing inserts too. Makes a great fine partical filter! But, will have to wait until the new filter arrives. Check back just before you leave town.

My fish in the 125 are definitely happy. Everyone came out of hiding! Even saw the entire clown loach school and the pleco.
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by AlyeskaGirl
                    Wow! Look at that planted tank, so many floaters!

Look at those SDs. I've been going a couple of weeks before water change on my 125g.

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
                    It still looks bad in the 90G. I have to find ways to anchor those swords until they sell. There are many baby plants. And I noticed that a new flower spike one one of the larger plants again. It is reproducing faster than I can get rid of them!

Will get pictures again once that tank looks halfway decent. Those angels are sprouting horns. Not enough swim space snd they are getting aggro.
                    - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

gee plants reproducing and showing off, sounds like a really bad problem you have there....
                      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said it was far more overgrown than the picture you posted. You got a lot of work done though, and it seems like your fish like the plants floating around.

Comment

Just spent a couple of hours digging through the plant mess and arranging things. I'm beat again...ugh.

Anyway, found a few surprises along the way too!

Here's the final result

Anubias coffeefolia is getting huge! That driftwood it is attached to is about a foot long.

SAEs

The Amazon Sword forest!

Ozelot Sword. Poor thing was not getting much light and had died back. I need to prune some of the leaves, but too tired today.

Anubias nana

Mystery aponogeton plant. Does anyone know what it is? It is reproducing even faster than the Amazon Swords!!!

And a couple of very nice surprises. Plants I thought had completely died out!

Rotalla

African Water Fern

Now, to deal with all the floating plant matter. Discovered a small clump of riccia. So, I clipped some plastic craft sheets and attached it to see if it will grow. And noticed a few pieces of duckweed :shock: Where in the world did that come from? Haven't seen duckweed in 6 months!!!

Also, because of the reduced water current, there are a couple patches of algae I have to deal with.
                          - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Oh, and my Peppered Cory came out of hiding today! Haven't seen him is ages. He is the lone survivor of his school when I had columnaris a few years back. Don't care for the long fins. They are actually longer than his body.

- Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3
                              gee plants reproducing and showing off, sounds like a really bad problem you have there....
                              Oh, it is a problem. I dropped several handfuls into the 125G and all the fish are nibbling away. And I still threw away a huge bag full!!

Originally posted by chevyguy8893
                              Wow, you weren't kidding when you said it was far more overgrown than the picture you posted. You got a lot of work done though, and it seems like your fish like the plants floating around.
                              It was bad, huh. Definitely looks much better today! Fish are checking things out and acting like I've added new things. It's funny.
                              - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

Working...
                              X