This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted 29 gallon

The 20 gallon journal may continue, but a lot of the plants are now in this tank along with the lighting and CO2. The plants in this tank are my attempt to step up to harder to keep plants. I was a bit afraid to give it a try, but I realized I am never going to get anywhere if I don't try.

The Equipment
    - 29 gallon display tank with a DIY 20L sump/refugium/riparium
    - U-tube type overflow box with 1" bulkheads (one emergency drain, and one controlled by a ball valve)
    - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 regulator with 5 lb tank, Fluval 88g diffuser fed into return pump
    - Marineland Maxi-jet 1100 w/3' head pressure running ~175 GPH
    - Aqueon Pro 150 watt
    - Catalina four bulb 96 watt Solar T5HO: UVL Red Sun, UVL Indigo Sun, ZooMed Florasun, ZooMed Ultrasun
    - AquaticLife 24" dual T5HO over sump/refugium/riparium

Parameters, Dosing, and Substrate
    - GH: 4 dGH
    - KH: 4 dKH
    - Fertilizers used: KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, Plantex CSM+B, Seachem Equilibrium, and Seachem Flourish Iron dosed on modified EI w/50% weekly water change
    - Caribsea Eco-complete with 21 Riparium Supply Gro Soil root tabs

Current FTS (06/07/2013)

Current Submerged/Floating Plant List (06/13/13)
    - Aciotis acuminifolia
    - Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
    - Alternanthera reineckii 'variegated'
    - Cryptocoryne sp.
    - Didiplis diandra
    - Fissidens fontanus
    - Helanthium bolivianum
    - Hygrophila lancea
    - Hygrophila pinnatifida
    - Hyptis lorentziana
    - Limnobium laevigatum
    - Limnophila aromatica
    - Ludwigia 'atlantis'
    - Persicaria 'kawagoeanum'
    - Phyllanthus fluitans
    - Ranalisma rostrata
    - Rotala indica (true)
    - Rotala macrandra 'green'
    - Rotala macrandra 'mini butterfly'
    - Staurogyne 'low grow'

Current Riparium Plant List (06/13/13)
    - Asclepias curassavica
    - Pilea cadierei 'minima'
    - Riccia fluitans 'dwarf'
    - Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
    - Ruellia brittoniana
    - Taxiphyllum barbieri

Pictures from the original start, then failure.

Proserpinaca (leaves are getting more saw toothed on the edges with more iron)

Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'

Eriocaulon Cinerum (damaged parts are dying off, but the new growth in the middle is coming in very well)

Ludwigia x Arcuata (bought today)

Right side

Middle (will probably change very soon)

Left side

FTS (It is either dusty from constantly working with this so I don't move things in the future, or it is more likely a bacteria bloom since only one temp. AC20 is seeded and the soil is leaching a lot of nitrites and nitrates)

Tomorrow will be the first large WC, so I am going to fix the spot where I made the cap too shallow and make any other changes I see. When I filled it, the water capacity came out to 21-22 gallons total. Either this tank will be a complete disaster, or it will work out a lot better with a substrate that has a high CEC rating. So far there is not any algae showing up, unless the cloudy water is an algae bloom, but it isn't green. I should be getting some red root floaters monday that will go along the front from a local person that wants some MTS. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, once school starts again this tank is going to be maintained and that is it, no moving plants or changing the layout weekly lol.
    Last edited by chevyguy8893; 06-13-2013, 05:42 PM.

Re: Planted 29 gallon

Very nice! Can't wait to see it progress!

Comment

Love the plants. You have some interesting varieties.
      - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
      Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
      Socrates

Comment

tank looks great, really looks good with all the plants.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dlondon95
          Very nice! Can't wait to see it progress!
          Thanks! Hopefully it will all grow really well.

Originally posted by catsma_97504
          Love the plants. You have some interesting varieties.
          Thank-you, I wanted to go for a tank with some uncommon plants. If they do well they should get some very nice coloring, but it will take a lot of micros and iron. I actually just ordered some more oddball stuff to fill in the midground area and replace the purple cabomba.

Originally posted by pirahnah3
          tank looks great, really looks good with all the plants.
          Thanks, maybe it will turn into a jungle someday .

Comment

Great pictures! Your plants look lovely. I especially like the Eriocaulon Cinereum. Where do you get your plants from?
            -Jonathan

Comment

Looks great!
              Christine

Comment

Originally posted by RogueAgent94
                Great pictures! Your plants look lovely. I especially like the Eriocaulon Cinereum. Where do you get your plants from?
                Thanks , I know I have said this a lot on F.L. but the erio is my favorite even though it is finicky. Some have come from my LFS when I have them order plants for me from Florida Aquatic Nurseries. The less common ones (erio, ammania, L. atlantis, L. aromatica, hygro, and chain swords) came from aquabid from p_volitan. Amazonpassion has also ordered from him, from whom I found out about this seller in a post made on F.L. months ago from a plant order.

Originally posted by AlyeskaGirl
                Looks great!
                Thanks!

Comment

Love the plant selection

Comment

Tank looks great! How do you go about preventing dirt from coming up when replanting plants? Do you use pinsettes?

Comment

I really like the Proserpinaca's leaves, is it planted on the both sides? or just the left.
                      __________________________________________________ _____
                      Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                      110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion
                        Love the plant selection
                        Thanks, it should be a good balance of plant growth.

Originally posted by QQQUUUUAADDD
                        Tank looks great! How do you go about preventing dirt from coming up when replanting plants? Do you use pinsettes?
                        Thank you . Since the cap is fairly deep (~1 1/2") I just trim the roots and use the stem's strength to push it into the substrate till I get to a point where they stay. I haven't had any dirt come up from that, but when I pull up plants in the future I may run into some dirt coming through.

Originally posted by Matt B
                        I really like the Proserpinaca's leaves, is it planted on the both sides? or just the left.
                        It is just planted in the corner behind the chain swords. The leaves are amazing to me, and if I can get the right conditions the leaves will look even better. It should be interesting to see how that and all the other plants progress in this tank.

Update
                        Yesterday was the 50% WC day for this tank. I inspected for any signs of an algae outbreak and saw nothing, wiped down the glass when the water was low of the dust stuck to it, and picked out some dead leaves. The new growth on the rotala rotundifolia is coming in pretty well and looks very healthy, my erio is glowing a golden color in the center (good CO2 levels), the purple cabomba (soon to go away) is growing in more compact than I ever saw in the 20 gallon and it is almost at the surface, and everything else is starting off well. If things continue this route I will be very happy.

Since I was on the fence about actually scaping this, I have decided to give it a try. With the plant coloring I have (and the colors of the new plants coming) and not wanting any hardscape, I am going to try a dutch style aquascape. It isn't natural looking, but I think it would be really interesting to try out. I am not sure how well the lighting will work out for this.

Hopefully during the coming week I will have the sump plumbed and running, the new plants planted, new riparium planters and plant put in the sump, lighting installed for the bottom, and I am going to try to find a mister at walgreens to increase the humidity for the riparium plants. Lots to do, but it should be doable.

Water tests
                        - Nitrates (8 hours after WC): 40 ppm
                        - pH (before, no CO2): 6.8
                        - KH (unchanged): 5 dKH
                        The new water mix to keep this KH level for the sensitive softwater plants is 75% RO water and 25% tap. My GBR's should appreciate this even more, and so will whatever other stock I choose.

The glowing erio (my phone doesn't do well for showing the color really well)

Comment

Looks awesome! Gotta say, you're making me want one of those plants.

What are you planning stock wise?
                          -Jonathan

Comment

Same here. That erio looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by dlondon95

Same here. That erio looks great!
                              Me three

Comment

Working...
                              X