55G Convict tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55G Convict tank

So I broke down the tank, gonna take out the UGF's, replace the gravel with sand, reseal it. And put it back up, right now I'm waiting for the silicone to dry/cure still got about 12 hrs,
    Here's a before pic, and a bad pic of me cleaning out the old silicone,

[album:3onk6vfy]276[/album:3onk6vfy][album:3onk6vfy]274[/album:3onk6vfy]
    Matt

Re: 55G Convict tank

Kudos to you. I am not confident in my resealing capabilities. I would be scared that I've done it wrong and leaked everywhere.

Was it leaking to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by AmazonPassion
      Kudos to you. I am not confident in my resealing capabilities. I would be scared that I've done it wrong and leaked everywhere.

Was it leaking to begin with?
      Yeah it was leaking out of the top, the front seals would leak at the top two inches of the tank,
      Finally got fed up with it, and wanted to take out the ugf's out and replace the gravel with sand,
      Matt

Comment

always best to give silicon a bit longer than stated to be sure. Also piece of advice test outside or over a drained area incase of leakage.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

It really isn't that hard CJ! Think of it as nothing more than caulking your bathtub

I cure it for 2 or 3 days. Then, fill with water outside and watch for leaks for a good week. Only then will I bring it into my house.
          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
          Socrates

Comment

I went through the same process with my 110g. Only it took a month for bottom seal to break and leak all over the floor

You may have just motivated me to reseal it again tomorrow! What brand silicone did you use?

Comment

Guess I'll give it a full 3 days to cure, my first reseal hope it goes well, only bad thing is I don't have any Where to leak test it there's 6 inches of snow outside and were hitting below 10 degrees at night,
              I used GE 1 clear silicone,

I rinsed out the sand last night took two hours jeesh,
              Matt

Comment

Yay! I always thought resealing tanks was fun lol. Definitely give it at least two days to cure. Silicone takes 24 hours to dry and then a couple days to cure.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Can the silicone cure correctly in such cold temps? I thought the tube stated to work with it in above freezing temps, if not even 40+
                  - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

The colder it is the longer it takes to cure I believe. When I was in a rush I would put my curing tanks into my small greenhouse and ramp up the temp so it would cure faster.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by catsma_97504
                      Can the silicone cure correctly in such cold temps? I thought the tube stated to work with it in above freezing temps, if not even 40+
                      The tank is drying/ cureing in my luandry room so no issues with cold temp there,
                      I was saying I don't really have a place to leak test it once the silicone cures,
                      Guess I can just do it in the laundry room, maybe the garage,
                      Matt

Comment

Oh, I misunderstood then. I thought you had the tank outside. Never mind :bounce:
                        - Dena

Walt Disney

Socrates

Comment

All you really need to worry about is having a place in case your reseal doesnt take so that the water doesnt flood the house.
                          -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Got the tank set back up today woot it looks awesome and no more leaks!
                            Here some pics
                            [album:3u7ceswq]305[/album:3u7ceswq][album:3u7ceswq]307[/album:3u7ceswq][album:3u7ceswq]306[/album:3u7ceswq]
                            Matt

Comment

nice looking setup.
                              -Jim-

Comment

Working...
                              X