Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye 125g, hellooooo 240g planted discus tank!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye 125g, hellooooo 240g planted discus tank!

Hiya peeps!

So about two weeks ago, my new 240g tank is up and running, and all my livestock and plants are enjoying their new home.
    I'm going to miss my 125g no lie. It was my pride and joy for about 7 years. Would have loved to keep them both, but simply don't have the space in the living room. So I've donated the old tank to a coworker.

Without further ado, on to the pics!

This is the custom made 60g sump. I had originally wanted 100g, but it would have taken up too much room under the stand. I asked for 3" spacing in the baffles, as I wanted to put 15ppi and 30ppi foam blocks there for more mechanical filtration:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1781949_10203609659706258_1405364978_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	142603
    ~Jose's 240g planted discus tank --> http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...ed-discus-tank!

Re: Goodbye 125g, hellooooo 240g planted discus ta

60 gallon sump for a 240g...impressive.

What are the dimensions of the 240?
    Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

That must be awesome to have such a huge tank! I hope there are current pics of the discus and plants on the way...

Comment

Here's the tank at the builder's shop just before they loaded it up for delivery.

Tank dimensions: 8ft x 2ft x 2ft acrylic. Black background
        Center overflow

Ack, I'm trying guys. Running into difficulties getting pics uploaded. Was trying to attach more, but apparently I have a 19.5kb limit? And I can't figure out how to remove attachments I have previously uploaded. I just tried putting them into photobucket, but I don't know if I linked to the next pic correctly. haha

As I type this, it's currently waiting for moderator approval to post, so I dont' know if I did it right.

Trying this again lol.
        Here's the tank at the bulider's shop just before they loaded it up on a truck for delivery:

Tank dimensions 8ft x 2ft x 2ft acrylic, 240g
        Center overflow.

I'll just keep going. I hope I'm not messing this up, as they are awaiting moderator approval for posting:

Freshly placed in the living room! The 125g that everything is coming from is on the right.
        We decided to put the tank directly on the slab. The new flooring will be trimmed up to the stand:

Here are a few shots during the planting process. Took me ALL day!

I had intended to take a better sequential progression of shots, but I got too wrapped up in my work! LOL

Final result!

I can't wait for the plants to fill in. It's been set up for about 2 weeks now. I moved ALL my media over from the 2 Fluval FX5's that I had filtering my old tank.

Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-20-2014, 07:20 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
        ~Jose's 240g planted discus tank --> http://www.everythingaquatic.net/for...ed-discus-tank!

Comment

Sorry, I was writing a lab report I've approved and merged your posts, though of course hindsight is 20/20, and I probably should have deleted the duplicate image, my apologies

I can see the empty tank and the final picture, but not the three in the middle.

Your tank looks amazing!! The layout of the plants and wood looks so natural. I hope to have discus someday

Comment

Couple of misc tank shots:

Fauna includes:
            12 adult and subadult discus. Ranging from 7.5" to 5"+.
            3 bolivian rams
            2 German blue rams
            5 farlowella catfish
            2 bamboo shrimp
            Shoal of denison barbs (roseline sharks)
            6 sterbai cories

Got the 3 middle pics fixed. =)

This is fun!
            Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-20-2014, 09:20 PM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

I'm in love with your tank. I'm jealous man. That is a beauty.

Love the Bamboo shrimps
              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Wow. Just...wow. Well done, that is beautiful.

Comment

Couple more misc tank shots then I really have to get back to pretending to work. LOL!

And FINALLY: a quick link to a short video I took not long after all was set up. You should still be able to watch it even if you don't have a facebook account:
                  Click HD in the lower right hand corner for better quality.
                  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...32914962445286

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
                  That must be awesome to have such a huge tank! I hope there are current pics of the discus and plants on the way...
                  Yeah, but Partial water change day is a BEAR. haha
                  No bucket brigade though. I have a 750gph submersible pump rigged up to some PVC and hose fitting.
                  Still takes over an hour to do though, and that's if ALL I do is the PWC. Doesn't count trimming, gravel vac, tank wall clean if needed.

Thanks for the nice comments thus far! =D
                  Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-20-2014, 09:22 PM. Reason: merged posts

Comment

Wow, that's more than just a discus tank! I LOVE your anubiases! (I'm a big fan of anubiases ) And your bamboo shrimp is awesome too, I had a couple but they didn't make it (even with twice daily feedings, little picky buggers). Your discus are gorgeous too, I love the dark blue one in the second to last picture

Comment

How old are you Discus?
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
                        How old are you Discus?
                        The oldest one (very skinny, peppered one you may have seen in the video) is almost 8 years old. He is still active, and eats well. Shows no signs of illness, but he just won't fatten up anymore. My guess is that he's nearing the end of his time. Captive discus can live 10years I've read. I just hope he lives out the rest of his days happy. =)

The rest range in age from 3 years, down to just over a year old.

Two of the blue diamonds have paired off and lay eggs on the driftwood every few weeks (ever since they were still in the 125g tank).
                        They never hatch though. My water is too hard. I use straight tap, as I don't have an RO.

I've no interest in breeding them anyway; I don't have the space and I don't think there'd be ANY deal I could cut with my wife to get her to let me start breeding them. haha!

Comment

You have an impressive collection. That is pretty cool that you have 8 year old. Crossing my fingers for you that he will live longer.
                          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by NorthStar View Post
                            I'm in love with your tank. I'm jealous man. That is a beauty.

Love the Bamboo shrimps
                            Yeah they're pretty neat. I love watching them hunker down where there is a decent current and fan out their filter arms. I'm tempted to buy more.

Comment

What temperature are you keeping your tank? Just curious because you have Discus and Bamboo Shrimps which usually have different temp requirements, but if it works then it works.

I use to have some in my tank and just how they would fight each other for the best spot to perch and filter feed.
                              Please check out:

Forum Rules

Comment

Working...
                              X