29g possibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29g possibilities

As you guys, the FL members, know I am starting a pond in the spring (fast approaching) for Kappa my red ear slider girl! Now once that is done I will have an empty 29g tank... so here are some questions I pose(sp)

When I was at petsmart a month or so ago I found a pair of jewel cichlids that I wanted but further Googling says they need a 40g... could a pair be housed in a 29 by themselves? Maybe use rosy minnows as dither fish...

I could also start this tank up as a larger saltwater but i will need to buy a protein skimmer .... and build a sump/fuge for it as well...

My last idea was a dwarf puffer tank with 13 DPs

This list is in the order I would prefer to do this in... so what are your thoughts?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I think jewels require more swimming space/territory than a 29 provides, and I have no idea regarding the puffers.

You could always get endlers and a gourami

Comment

No offense to you endler lovers... but god no... I can't stand live bearers to many babies to deal with xD... and i would like to try something new which is why I would like cichlids... or something semi aggressive that doesn't have a laberanth(sp) (and the fact that I want male guppies for my saltwater tank is to be ignored )
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

29g possibilities

Yeah I have to agree. I don't think they would be completely happy in a 29g.

Hmmm. What about a couple rams and some different schools of tetras?

Comment

From some of the googleing I have been doing what's the difference between a 29 and a 30 a few sites list a 30 as a minimum for them... and they will be the only fish in there... but if its a no go I won't do it...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Okay so i think I am in love with apistos now haha...
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Apistos sound like the best choice so far A 29 gallon has a considerable smaller footprint than a 30; therefore I wouldn't recommend the rams.

Comment

What breed of apisto would be good for this footprint? And how many I read the are harem breeders so I would think more females is better than males... and are the best in species only tanks or community? Right now I am just planning SO...
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

29g possibilities

I think a 29g is plenty big enough for a pair of rams. With a pair, there shouldn't be any, or little, territory issues.

Comment

I always treated jewels like convicts. 20g per pair. I've had pairs spawn in my 3g holding tanks before. They are not picky about their surroundings for breeding but they are picky about tankmates.

Apistos would be cool but you'd probably need to treat your water to soften it and age the water. Yep, they are harem breeders. Usually you want three females per male. They do not like breeding in pairs, unlike Rams.
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Well I would love to get the pair i saw at petsmart and besides the occasional rosy minnow they will be the only ones in the only ones in the tank... and as for the breeding I would just sell them here, on FL, and to my lfs and any left over are going to be angel food for my brothers fish... (not to be mean but really 500 at one time is a lot of babies...)

As for apistos I read ro/di water is good for them as it softens the water... but i haven't bought ro/di unit yet... I Ned tl in the next month though for my nano...
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

My brothers a jerk... he was looking at the pictures of jewel cichlids I am drooling over and when i told him they will take the 29g when I move Kappa outside all he said was just get rid of the stupid turtle... seroulsy I was mad about that... that turtle is like his dog IMO... anyways... I think I will do the jewels as it will only be one pair and they don't get any bigger than a convict and we've raised them before before i knew about the cycle... had tons of babies... however to make sure they have swim room I will try to set caves up in the two ends of the tank and make the middle swimming room... may get lucky and they build their love car next to were my bed is and I can stay up at night watching them!
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sorry about your brother. Brothers tend to be insensitive to others hobbies sometimes.

Have you thought about doing Kribs? I just saw a really nice looking pair of Kribs in one of the lists of fish I was sent from a source of mine. Thought you might want to look into those as well. That way you could add other fish.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

My brother is just mad i wont give her to him... anyways sadly enough my brother also has a male krib in his tank as well... he is cool looking when he comes out lol... but i kinda like the jewels a.bit more... i am sort of tried of community tanks...
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                            X