3g Dwarf Puffer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3g Dwarf Puffer

I have been debating posting this thread here as i have on another forum... however I have finally realized that on this forum people seem more open and reasonable to different, outside the box, ideas :-) sad thing is most members here are members there as well :/

So to steal Jon's, Rogue's, thunder on his 3g Pico idea I am going to put a Dwarf Puffer in my 3g long tank :-)

Tank specks:
    Size: 3g
    Filter: nano hob (I think its an aquaclear?) With a prefilter sponge
    Light: 75w desk lamp, going to be replacing the bulb with 14w plant bulb from Walmart...
    Heater: 7.5w topfin keeps it around 75* with he light off on a cold night

Plants: Xmas moss, purple Cambodia,rotala (will add more to the list as its added)
    Feeding schedule:
    Monday - blackworms
    Tuesday - nothing
    Wednesday blackworms
    Thursday - 3-6 live snails
    Friday - bloodworms
    Saturday - 3-6 live snails
    Sunday - bloodworms

I may switch up Mondays to try different things like mysis and krill

Water changes: every other day 10% 1 monthly 50-75%
    Will add 2 ghost shrimp to the tank as clean up crew and something for the puffer to "play" with :-)

I feel like I am forgetting something :/ idk let the comments fly I will read anything and everything you post and will take it into concideration but please don't start on me about keeping the DP in a "bucket" I have been reading a lot and feel I can do this!
    Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-03-2013, 11:38 AM.
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Hey I say go for it, sounds like you have it planned out well and have a grasp on what you need to do. Keep us updated with pics and progress.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Great idea! Whoever came up with it must be brilliant!

Interesting feeding schedule. I would try to at least convince the puffer to eat pellets. Most of mine ended up eating them after I tricked them lol. NLS pellets come in really tiny sizes! Are you not going to try to feed any veggie matter? I would make some home made frozen food with lots of protein and some veggies because all growing kids need their veggies .

As for the plants, I like your list but I'm a bit concerned about lighting and ferts. Are you going to dirt the tank? Also, are you planning on setting up a CO2 system? Your plants technically don't need CO2 but they would grow much much better with it. Also, what are you using as a foreground plant? Cabomba and Rotala are both background plants. You may want to look into something like Chain Swords or Dwarf Sag because they are similar to Val which puffers like.
      -Jonathan

Comment

I dont have any nls but do plan to buy some as people keep talking about how epic it is!

And that's why I need to do more reading... I didn't know DPs ate veggie matter at all... that dwarf puffer site suggests all meaty foods like I listed...

And plant/fert. Wise I am planning use flourish ahd all my plants do wonderfully on it! I have never tried co2 and not sure if I ever will... I was going to go dirted but opted not to... the plants listed are just a couple i have placed in there for now... I was planning to also add Java moss mats (ZeeZ is selling me a few 2"x2" mats for $2 each), dwarf sag or dwarf chain (are these the same? They look the same), anubias eye, rotala, frogbit, hornwort?, and not sure what else... I'd like to heavily plant this but my freshwater plant knowledge is kinda limited...
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I like it. I feed it to my bettas and my reef. My 'nem loves the stuff!

They eat mostly protein but I think they still need some veggie matter. Some people don't feed their puffs any while some, like me, try to feed them some. Puffs sometimes eat flakes if you trick them into thinking it is alive by moving it around with tweezers.

Instead of CO2 you could add Flourish Excel. But shrimp don't do well with it I believe. I've never used it personally. I prefer just using CO2. Instead of dirting the whole tank why don't you pot your plants with dirt bases? I've done that before with plenty of plants. Makes clean up much easier. Chain Sword and Dwarf Sag aren't the same, I believe. Dwarf Sag's scientific name is Sagittaria subulata while Chain Sword's scientific name is Echinodorus tenellus. So definitely different. I think Chain Sword is easier to grow but I've never tried to grow Dwarf Sag. Careful with the anubias. My anubias kind of melts in high light. I move it so it is slightly shaded and it does better.
          -Jonathan

Comment

3g Dwarf Puffer

Dwarf Sagittaria is Sagittaria Subulata I'm about to put some in my big tank
            I have some in Mordin's tank that has grown really well under LEDs and have tetra plant complete and gravel cap ill see how it does in the big tank with the same fertilised substrate but different lights.

I really like the look of the dwarf sag
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I know it would be bad but I am really thinking of making the tank a Cambodia jungle! (Purple to be exact) the small piece I added just a few days ago has sky rocketed in growth! I got a picture (fts) on my phone I will upload in a sec...

Also if starved will ghost shrimp eat MTS? When i added the seeded sand to the tank (8 cups) I didn't expect so many to come out of the wood work, so to speak... I have pulled out maybe 50+ by hand alone and still more are popping up xD don't get me wrong I love these little dudes but before I add more plants and get the puffer (months/weeks away from that) I want to make sure as many snails are out as possible! I don't want the poor puffer to die the day i get him because he gourged himself on snails... I was thinking of getting a clown loach let it take care of the issue then rehome to my brothers to get rid of his snail issue but I am not that cruel to do that to a fish plus it needs a school... not gonna happen in this life time... anyway fts in next post

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00113.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	137466
              As it sits now... the ball of moss in the back is xmas moss and the front is the cambodia thats grown a lot in a few day...the log is my fav. Part though because it forms a cave!!! Also the floating plant is a rotala (I think) its melted to just the few leaves on top... I am hoping the smaller tank and higher light will bring it back some!
              Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM. Reason: merged posts
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Nice wood can't wait till you get your puffer they are so cute Oliver is fascinated by them so when we move to a bigger house ill be setting him up a puffer tank

My LFS has got two salt water ones which were in separate tanks until the little one decided it wanted to join the bigger one and jumped over lol they have been trying to get him to stay in his own tank but he just keeps jumping back over lol

Comment

I wish that were real wood but alas it isn't it is actually a piece that fell of this HUGE one that my brother has in his 75g but his BP took over the hole it made as his spot lol (or her not sure on its gender)

Maybe that's a sign they should be sold as a pair :-) or you should buy them com'mon you know you wanna! Lol

Anyways the plan is to buy the puffer when I buy my betta imbellis so they will ship together from the wet spot in Oregon! By then both tanks should be ready! The betta tank is more than ready but i am having 2nd thoughts about the fake tree stump in the tank... I may try and find a nice real driftwood price for the tank... idk yet...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I tend to go real v artificial just because mainly the place I get it from is the best LFS ever and any excuse to go

I would love a marine tank and when I am feeling brave enough and can get the biggest tank possible I will start a salty adventure as marine fish are sooooo pretty and then the puffer will be mine.

When do you think you'll be making your order?

Comment

My lfs sucks :/ the wood is either :O omg huge or omg you want how much for the tiny thing... and petsmart is no different lol...

30,000g is your limit... work with it Magoo lol

I am thinking mid-march... the bettas are $16 for 6 and the DP are $5 each so the puts my just under the cap they require for shipping so i will just buy a random plant and be happy! With $20 shipping! Not a bad deal for some epic wild fish (not sure if the DP is wild or tank bred)
                      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Comment

Alright I know I said I was going to get the puffer in march/April but I have put this tank to a stop for now... the tank has been converted to a plant hospital for now as my brother decided to steal my light for the tank they were in and i didn't see much difference until a week ago so I dosed more flourish hoping it could help... anyways I lost darn near all my plants but did manage to save about a foot of hornwort (was 4') a few strands of ludwigia (or rotala I keep mixing the 2 up), my red lily (looks ready to be spilt into 3 plants :-) ) mini pella(sp), 3 of my 4 anubias eye... i am a aid I may lose 2 of them as they lost all but 2 leaves and 1 is really rough looking and that's it of my 26g which was cramed full of plants before hand >_<

Lets see if I can get these pictures to post :-)
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130210_014803.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	137533
                          Here is a FTS.. sorry its cloudy hopefully the filter will pull it all out...

I have 3 ghost shrimp in the tank as a clean up crew 2f and 1m

The temp just scared me though i just added a floating thomometer(sp) the temp jumped to 90* with the light and heater on... so i shut the heater off so I will see what the tank goes to with just a light.... its a wonder i haven't cooked those poor shrimp yet
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sorry about your plants none of my brothers would dare touch my tanks although I don't live with them so that makes it easier.

When did you get the monkey? (I think it's a monkey) lol

Comment

I have had that one for 2 years now :-) if you go through any number of my threads on FL you will see him in just about all my tanks at some point lol I was wondering when someone would notice or say something xD

And the thing is I don't live with my brother, yet, we decided to get a place together... so its a 2 bedroom with 3 guys... gonna be fun (not) his fish addiction is for larger tanks (his smallest is a 40b and largest a 75g) where as I prefer smaller tanks (.5,2,3,5,10,26,&29g's) lol and i will be buying a 35g here soon for a pray mantis anyways off track he took the light for the crab tank i WAS helping mom with but mister i know everything took over and is going to end up killing everything in the tank with freshwater and no land... but thats for a different thread xD
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X