75 gl Fwlr/Reef setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 gl Fwlr/Reef setup

Hi all, those that Know me, know I am a dedicated Discus keeper. with 20 in house at the moment I do not see that ending anytime in the near future (god willing).
    I recently setup a 75 gl for my wife that houses 7 Angels and a school of orange flame tetras. out of those 7 angels I have 3 different pairs ( 2 of those pairs are sitting on eggs as I write this)
    so actually just the tetras are in the 75 gl. although we just got her Blood red parrots (wow are they ever red) in Qt and will be taking over the 75 gl as I have decided to work with these 3 pairs
    while I wait for the Discus to mature then start working with them.

So as if I didn't have enough going on I just went and picked up a used 75 gl. the Wife is hooked already and decided this should be our first Salt water tank ( I love how she said "First")
    I have been researching on and off for over a year and thought, yeah its as good a time as any.

this is the 9th tank in the basement, its starting to look like a fish store,
    I will start off with just Fwlr but will expand into full reef eventually. plan on taking this one slow, probably be adding the Live sand and rock in a couple weeks.

feel free to give any suggestions to the new kid on the block.

I read over everything, thanks, MORE TO COME

Tom
    -Tom

I am going to follow your progress with great interest. My goal one day is to have one too.

__________________________________________________ __________
    Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Congrats on trying the salty side! Switching from fowlr to a reef can bee a big headache; depending on what you choose to stock. Theres lots of lovely fish that are not coral friendly (and they can have longer lives). If you're planning to switch (after a light or filtration upgrade), keep in mind the final goals while ur stocking.....or you may need another tank for the reef
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Originally posted by featherblue View Post
        Congrats on trying the salty side! Switching from fowlr to a reef can bee a big headache; depending on what you choose to stock. Theres lots of lovely fish that are not coral friendly (and they can have longer lives). If you're planning to switch (after a light or filtration upgrade), keep in mind the final goals while ur stocking.....or you may need another tank for the reef
        Another tank? now theres an idea

thanks Featherblue, keep the info flowing please.
        I definitely am keeping in mind the reef when considering the fish.

ALSO, I take what the LFS's tell us with a grain of salt. with that said, he has told me with a 75 gl with 2 HOB's and a good quality skimmer I should not need anything else filtration wise when I move to a Reef. don't really want to get involved with a sump and am hoping he is correct with his info on this. will T5 lighting work for a reef with the right type of Bulbs??
        -Tom

Comment

How exciting!! Have fun putting it together!
          Christine

Comment

welcome to the SW side of things.

haveing done a bunch of research on them in the past i can say that the local store is right with a caviat of you will not be able to keep all corals with that setup. I agree that going to reef i would def do a diff tank so that you can just do corals. Most people i talk to that want to do a dedicated reef tank with all kinds of corals and this and that have found that even "reef safe" fish cause problems in the tank.
            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirahnah3 View Post
              welcome to the SW side of things.

haveing done a bunch of research on them in the past i can say that the local store is right with a caviat of you will not be able to keep all corals with that setup. I agree that going to reef i would def do a diff tank so that you can just do corals. Most people i talk to that want to do a dedicated reef tank with all kinds of corals and this and that have found that even "reef safe" fish cause problems in the tank.
              thanks Jim, I think that might be a very good thought as well. with that said, is there corals that would make sense in the 75 gl and not cause issues.
              maybe several to steal a planted phrase "easy" corals that we could put in the 75 gl with the fish then get more involved with corals in a "Reef setup" in another tank.

I definitely like this idea of a seperate tank to focus on corals.
              -Tom

Comment

Zoas and shrooms are easy and dont mind dirty water, featherblue would prob be a better one to answer that fully, thou I know rouge is decent with corals as well.
                -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Hob filters are nitrate traps in sw. Little bits of yuck ("detritus") get caught and and rot; which raises nitrates and causes algae blooms. Rock is the best filtration for sw; rock and lots of water flow. Rock houses bb and hitchhiker to eat detritus. I would ditch the hob and run more powerhead....or keep the bigger of the two as a little refugium.
                  A 4 ft t5 with at least 4 bulbs (preferably 6) can run low to moderate light corals. You'll need blue (actinic) and 10-20k white bulbs. Shroom, zoas, star polyps, torch or frogspawn, acans, favia all potential options...mostly no sps in nitrate high tanks
                  The issue with combining fowrl into a reef tends to be coral eating fish (more than corals not liking water with those fish).
                  I ran a hob skimmer rated for 75g on my 55g hex with no sump.....never again will I go no sump with sw. This scum developed on the water surface....the only way to get rid of it was gravity pulling top layer of water; which means a gravity fed sump.
                  If cost or experience installing a sump are your limiting factors consider a used system as a new base or parts for the project. I got my sump system for thousands less than store price by deciding what I needed and watching the used market. A sump really does make a huge difference on maintaining a sw tank
                  36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Thousands Less tell me that's a typo, haha. just absolutely no experience is the reason, just not sure I understand I to set it up and concerned with horror stories I have read on overflowing and water all over the floor. (carpet in my house) I am planning on the 300 Reef Octopus Skimmer. this will be a Fwlr to begin with. (maybe a separate tan for a reef after I see ho well this goes)

keep the info flowing please, you cannot over load me.
                    RO Water or Tap Water? i think i understand where the hobby leans on this.

What about the water from a machine at walmart or the like?? i know many use this, Pro's and Con's

with just a Fwlr do i need a Reactor??
                    -Tom

Comment

Yay! Another salty convert lol.

Definitely go for at least RO water. I started out using the RO water from the glacier machines at Publix which should be the same as the ones in Walmart. However I ended up converting to a cheap RODI which I purchased off ebay. It hardly cost me anything and meant that I always had water on hand if something happened. The only con of using RO water from walmart is that the TDS could be pretty high depending on when they serviced the machine. I have only ever heard of bad things when it comes to using tap water unless you have amazing tap water. I have a well and I still won't use it.

I agree with Featherblue in that you should have a sump. I never had the issue of overflow and my floor getting wet honestly. As long as you set it up the first time you'll be fine. You don't absolutely need a sump exactly. Just something to be a gravity pull. A simple wet dry filter would do the same thing.

What kind of Reactor do you mean?
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Sumps are an entity all their own, I would be happy to help with piping mechanics and flow rates and all that but as far as what setup of one to use that isnt my forte at least for SW. I can do the nitrogen cycle in fresh water in my sleep lol. With a sump there are easy ways to prevent overflows and the easiest is to just oversize the height of the tank a bit or at least the return chamber. BAsically you need to figure the area from the lowest flow point from your tank (IE the level at which water would begin to flow into your sump, assuming its gravity fed) and the nominal running level in the tank with all equipment running. This difference would be the excess volume you need to have in the sump to allow the tank to drain back into it,

As for water, it really depends on what the water type is in those units, with some its simply tap water rebraned, with others it is merely run thru a simple spun filter and possibly carbon, and with others they do run it thru RO systems. You would need to do some reserch and find out what it is. RO is the best to use as you would then add what minerals and content you want and be able to control it better, Yes people do use tap water for SW tanks but I dont personally know of anyone doing that for reefs constantly. I did know of one of the guys at the LFS that would occasionally use it for his reef but not normally.

Thousands less, Yup she is right, building it yourself and actually doing some work and research can save you a TON.

What type of reactor are you talking about? There are several types never mind styles of each type.
                        -Jim-

Comment

I wouldn't mind the RO/Di units if it wasn't for my situation at the house. beyond the waste of 4 gls for every 1 gl of Ro water. I need a place for that waste to go, I don't have a drain in the basement where all my tanks are. (wish I did, and no real easy fix) I could easily hook one up down there but then would have to have the waste fed into a barrel for removal. might be a thought down the road I guess.
                          the Reactor I am speaking of would be calcium and phosphate, or do I misunderstand something here. and/or does the Protein skimmer take care of this issue.

can I do a wet/dry or sump without drilling the tank, and if so cansomeone maybe provide a link of a particular unit that would make sense. I don't want to say money is not an issue but rather I don't mind paying to do this right the first time around instead of overpaying to fix later.

thanks for the info everyone, keep it coming.
                          -Tom

Comment

you can easily do the same thing that anyone does for a tank, make a u tube style over flow system. you can check out tons of DIY options on it, there are other hang on methods for overflow but they all also use u tubes to create a suction lift via a siphon.

As for the waste, if you garden you could do a bucket thing, but yeah no waste down there can be an issue, that said RO units do not take up alot of space, you could put one almost anywhere and then run a line of tubing to a barrel near the tank for storage.
                            -Jim-

Comment

I meant thousands....a retail 72g bowfront with sump, return pump, compact florescent light is silly retail ($1800-$5000 easy depending on a huge list of feature) used I got one for $600.
                              Rodi is worth it...control of water quality makes a huge benifit

Comment

Working...
                              X