This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 gallon nano

Alrighty so this is the 2nd forum I have posted this on however it also seems I will get more help here (thanks again Rogue you have been a huge help!) Any ways... I have decided to setup a saltwater tank, finally, the plan is to get my 29g up and running (cycling) by my birthday in February. However I do have everything needed to cycle a 5g for a small reef! (Once again Rogues thread here has given me polyp ideas lol.)

Anyways... here are the tank specs right now
    Size: tank - 16"(l)x10"(h)x8.2"(w) fuge - 11"(l)x9"(h)x7.5"(w)... I am also debating to get an added hob fuge ( http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-External-R ... B005VFLAG2) maybe even 2 so when i start breeding banaggi I have someplace safe for the fry!
    Lighting: I plan to buy 3 ( http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Might-Ligh ... lies_img_y) 2 for the display tank and 1 for the 2.5 fuge
    Heating: 2 7.5w topfin heaters (made for bettasi assume if 1 keeps the 2.5 at 73-75* around the year 2 should keep the tanks around 78-80*... if not I will buy a 25w titanium heater :-)
    Power heads: if having the 2 fuges aren't enough I have an internal power filter I got with the 2.5(was a walmart kit) the would do the job I would just need to get 1 more...

Stocking would be: 1-2 gobies (species unknown but I love blue neon gobies looks! I may even try (omg I just found something called a white tailed pygmy... wouldn't fit in my 5g but giving thought to it for my larger tank... omg its an angel!!!) Anyways... any ideas fish wise? As for cuc I was thinking 2 nass snails, and 3-4 blue legged hermit crabs... maybe a cleaner shrimp?

As for live rocking I was told 1-1.5lbs is needed so I was thinking of buying 7lbs of live rock ($5.99/lbs at my lfs) and having 2" of sand (debating to do live vs. Argornigt(just killed that word all up haha) sand is both about the same price but the lfs caries the most reccomeneded live sand... may just go with them...

I am trying g to find a site that will show you how to make an ATO (auto-top off) system so i don't have to worry about filling the tank twice a day... just weekly WC of 1g a week...

I am also thinking of acclimating my mangroves (1-2 to add to the fuge) or would this hurt the SG being it is such a small tank?

Anyways pictures and such will follow as the tank progresses! I may start setup next week and order my lighting then! As (i have been told) you don't need lights til its all cycled anyways truth?

Okay so amazon is now my best buddy xD found a bulb that would fit the fixture on my 5g I would have to get 2 which is still cheaper than the 1 less from the other link... plus plenty of good reviews saying the bulbs don't get to hot...

http://www.amazon.com/White-Energy-Savi ... d+lighting

Thoughts?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Re: 5 gallon nano

Okay so amazon is now my best buddy xD found a bulb that would fit the fixture on my 5g I would have to get 2 which is still cheaper than the 1 less from the other link... plus plenty of good reviews saying the bulbs don't get to hot...

http://www.amazon.com/White-Energy-Savi ... d+lighting

Thoughts?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I cant help you as much (yet) with the stocking, that said, any sand you put in the tank WILL become live sand eventually.

The local store is right from what I can read and that you need 1-2 pounds per gallon of live rock. More is always betterer lol. I was told when starting up a tank you can easily go with the 1 lb/gal and then add a bit more later once you get things moving and can see what you want to do. Also consider trying to get your rock from two sources as you will end up with a more diverse bacteria colony. In SW the bacteria are not as simple as the fw kind there are alot of different ones and the more strains you can get in your tank, the better off you will be.
      -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
      If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
      Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
      Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

they are the only place I know of here that sells live rocking... I think my brother said there was a wickedly nice shop in Charleston that has saltwater I should check them out... maybe I will get half my rock from them and half from the shop here :-) I didn't know that about the LR bacteria so thanks!

Oh I just remember my brothers LR rubble has been in freshwater for a few months... any ideas on how to clean it so the fw bacteria doesn't effect the saltwater badly? I remember Rogue said on FL it would need cleaned for that reason... I was thinking I could do a rinse in tap water (hot) and either boil it or stick it in the oven for like 30 mins... or would that ruin the LR?

And... I think once my lights come in I have chosen the polyps I would love to attempt raising...
        Nuclear green zoanthid
        Star polyp
        Dark star polyp
        Teal star polyp
        Metallic green star polyp
        And my lfs has a tank raise/bred anenome I really want... I know 5g a to small for them but I figured I could grow it out in the 5g then move it over to the 29g (or the 75g if I get that one instead) when i get my clownfish!
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Hey! Finally found this thread lol. Glad my tank could give you some ideas lol.

I dunno about those HOB fuges. Could be an interesting idea. I never thought about it really. Both the lights you posted would be great for a fuge but not for a display tank. They don't have enough blue light. You want at least 50/50 daylight/actinic.

I'd be wary of putting many, if any, fish in the tank. If it were my tank I'd only add a Cherub Angelfish and leave it at that. They're pretty active and have great personalities.

Lol it's aragonite. Here's what I did with my tank. I took half and half livesand and aragonite. I put the aragonite on the bottom and then capped it with live sand. The aragonite is larger and leaves more room in between each grain. This gives anaerobic bacteria a perfect place to live. And the live sand will make sure the environment in the aragonite is anaerobic. Live sand will be teeming with other kinds of bacteria which will help.

I can't help you much with an ATO system since I don't have one. I just have a couple 5g water containers (with lids) full of RO water and I pour in some water every other day. You only want to do half a gallon waterchange every week. Best to keep WCs down to 10% apparently.

I don't know much about mangroves lol. I wouldn't see a problem with it.

I'd get a light in your tank during cycling just in case you have some goodies hitchhike on your live rock. Plus you'll want to look into your tank while it is cycling.

You should give your LR rubble an acid or bleach bath to clean it up really well.

I like the stocking ideas. The nuclear green zoanthids should be last. I'd get some kind of 'normal' zoanthid first to make sure they like your tank before you try a fancier kind of zoanthid. Star polyps have been fairly forgiving with me so I say they're a good choice! Other corals you may want to look into are mushrooms, ricordea, and yumas. Bubble coral, hammers, duncans, frogspawn, and torch corals are all interesting.

A 5g is too small for a 'nem lol. You will want to wait till your big tank is fully cycled and mature before adding a 'nem. They're pretty big waste producers.
          -Jonathan

Comment

i think I will buy it and give it a review on this site if I like it! Could be really helpful in the long run! (Side note: I think the 5g is a 5.5 based n the demnsions I measured... though the 8.2w sounds off but it really isn't)

As for lighting I am looking around... so far my lfs is null and petsmart has like no saltwater stuff besides food and salt lol... so online is all I got... so far the cheapest lights I have found are the 2 listed in the posts above... would they be able to grow at least soft corals or am I looking at only growing shrooms with them?

I found a few vids on YouTube with those angels... I agree with many reviews saying they need at least 55g they are fast lil buggers haha... if I add any fish I will just stick with the original goby or firefish (still looking for a glass lid so I don't risk jumpers)

I think I will just call is 'nite sand xD I can never spell it right haha... I guess I can do 1" 'nite and 1" live sand... would mix bacteria for live rock and i made a deal with a fellow FL/ER member were meeting up at his house then going to different fish shops :-) I think I may buy 1lbs of live rocking from each shop haha talk about mixing bacteria perfectly! Plus god only knows what sort of hitchhikers I'd get from them all sounds like it will be a fun day!

I am thinking of buying a brand new 5g bucket and figuring out how to modify it for the ATO system... maybe drilling a hole in the bottom that's smaller than the airline tube and shuving it inside (elimating the need for silicone) and then running it to the fuge and fro there idk how to slow the flow to just drips besides tieing(sp) a knot on the end...

I may hold off on the mangroves as i like the look of them in my red cherry tank :-) plus they are keeping me from ending to add a filter to the tank :-) (heavily planted doesn't begin to describe it )

How would I be sure the bleach is all out of the rubble before i would be to add it? What kind of acid are you talking about?

And I can hold of on the 'nem though I still want to get it if they don't sell it :-) I will name it Sarah hahaha

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq15005- ... twater+led

This is a 5g comes with the 50/50 led lighting lus its less than $40... I could even hook the 5g up as the new fuge (the one I current tly have) plus buy that 1g hob fuge... haha thoughts ideas complaints?
            Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 02-06-2013, 09:26 PM.
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sounds good! If it runs well for you then I might have to get one myself lol. I always have extra fry running around that could be put in it.

Hm... those lights aren't terrible but they could be better. If you were able to get one of those bulbs and then another that was completely actinic then you would be in a good spot for growing most things. I grew some zoas under pure daylight for a while without issues. They didn't like it very much and it didn't look great but it worked! Shrooms aren't exactly high light, to my knowledge, but they do appreciate a good amount of light. Kinda like zoanthids. They can grow in low light but they grow better in high light. I don't like the lights in that tank that you posted. They don't look quite right to me.

It depends. They are pretty slow growers, to my knowledge, and I know someone that has one in a 6g Fluval Edge. His tank is awesome! But he did say something about having to move the angel in a year to a larger tank. They max out at 4" I believe.

Sounds good! Just make sure you put everything in to the tank in the right order. Egg crate first, then base rock, then aragonite, then live sand, and then you can put in the rest of the rock. Your rock structure's base should be on the egg crate. I accidentally moved mine so it is sitting on the aragonite right now but it would be better if it was on the egg crate.

You will definitely have to seal the pipe in some how. Silicone or super glue. By drilling a smaller hole and stuffing the pipe in you could have a couple problems. One, the pipe could come out when you least expect it. Two, the pipe my wrinkle while you're stuffing it into the bucket which would give you a leaky bucket (had it happen to me before lol). One of my HOBs has a small faucet type thing on it which allows me to connect an RO pipe to it. The faucet goes into the main part of the HOB and allows me to top up the tank whenever I want by just turning the tap. Takes me five minutes to top up the tank lol.

To get rid of all the bleach you have to dry it out. You would use Muriatic acid for an acid bath.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Alright so i order the tank tomorrow and (if I read right) should have the tank Tuesday or Wednesday! And can begun setup! My lfs using that Texas holey rock as their base rock sp I will buy 3lbs from them a 1lbs of live rock then wen I go to meet with mmolitor87 (aka the serial killer) I'll pick up another pound or two where he lives :-) and i may pick up the cleanup crew and start their QT while the tank is cycling :-)

My lfs is willing to order extra leds if I need them to add on to the tank :-) so if I need more then there is a start! But honestly I am not sure I will need them...

I didn't know I needed egg crate (first time I have heard that) is it so the rocking doesn't touch the glass? Its pretty cheap here so I can gets some no problem :-) also is it better to build up with the rock of stay low? I have read many conflicting posts in other forums...

That angel does seem cool... I may get one when the big tank is ready... and get it instead of the goby (well put the goby in the 5g)

Oh I didn't think about all of that... good thing we have silicone in spades here... just non aquatic safe xD

Okay so bleach treatment it will be... followed by a month or two drying... lol don't want to add it to soon better safe then sorry :-)
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Try to have half and half live/base rock. So you don't have to worry about not having enough bacteria or die off in the tank.

Sounds good. What light will you be using now? If you go for a light I'd say go for LEDs. Even if that other bulb runs cool I can guarantee it doesn't run as cool as LEDs. Plus, the cooler you can get them the less evaporation you'll have.

Hahahaha yeah, you should add eggcrate. Not everyone does but I think it is necessary. Yes, it keeps the rock off the glass and it spreads out the weight evenly across the base of the tank.

I only dried my bleached rocks for a week before adding them. I found doing an acid bath is much easier because then you just pour in some baking soda and your rocks are ready almost right away.

Are you gonna try to cycle this tank without the MicroBacter7? Cycling with live rock usually only takes a week or two apparently.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

okay so then 4lbs dry and 4 live and I'll get 2lbs at my lfs and 2 in St. Louis... plus the live sand so that 3 different bacteria colonies and if I am lucky nothing to bad will be in them! (Also is it better to built the rock up or out?)

Well when i buy the 5g in the DP I will use the less and I will also buy 2 of those bulbs that will fit in my current 5g light fixture for the fuge. But if they run to hot then I will just go out and find some half and half led strips... maybe Lowes sells them.

Egg crate it is! Don't want to move the tank and it explode from the bottom... or worse... crack...

Well... if I do the acid where in the world would I find it locally? Where do you get it from?

Ugh... I keep forgetting about that stuff lol... found it on amazon for $14... how much does your guy charge?
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sounds good. I'd build a larger base and cover at least half the back of the tank with rock. My tank has the entire back covered with rock but none of it is touching the glass. Don't touch the glass with rock cause then you won't be able to get rid of algae around it lol.

That kind of acid should be easy to find at home depot or lowes I think.

I bought a large bottle for $18.

BTW I merged your double posts.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

okay... I will make a plan for it then :-) I am assuming the tank is bowfront (not sure of the exact deminsions I didn't look at them yet)

OK sorry about that (back to back posts)
                        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Bowfront? I've never seen a bowfront 5.5g. Weird lol.

No problem . Just wanted to let you know in case you were wondering. If you ever want to add something or remove something from your post there is an edit button on the top right hand corner of each of your posts.
                          -Jonathan

Comment

So we just left petropics and i got a ton of good news!
                            1 i had $20 store crdit from the geckos i gave them
                            2 i got 5lbs of fiji live rock straight from the DTs so it is cured!
                            3 they lost 2 of their fish experts and are looking to hire... guess who is applying!!!
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sweet! Sounds like a good deal. What's the employee discount?!

Sent from my SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
                              8 GloFish
                              6 Glowlight Tetra
                              1 Dwarf Gourami
                              4 Mystery Snail

Comment

Working...
                              X