Wanna help me set up a tank?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna help me set up a tank?

Well, with all these discussions and pictures of saltwater tanks and corals, I think I'm gonna take the plunge and set up a saltwater tank!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to saltwater... So tell me everything you have to say about setting up a new tank!

Thinks I have:

20g long tank
    Penguin 200 filter
    Top fin 10 filter
    Heater (200w I think?)
    Black sand (probably wont use)

My LFS has a decent selection of saltwater stuff. They have unite a few fish and can order anything you want. They also have lots of live rock. What's a good price for live rock? Also, what's a good price on salt mix? They have it for about $21 for Instant Ocean for a 50 gallon mix bag. This seems really expensive to me, but I haven't shopped around at all for mix.

So what else would I need to get for the tank? Some kind of substrate I assume, maybe a power head or 2.

What kind of fish/inverts can I put in it?

I would like to add corals to the tank at some point so what would I need for that? Lighting wise?j

Thanks in advance for any help!

If your keeping corals I would highly recomend an RO unit. The one in Rouges cheap stuff thread is a great buy (and I will be getting one myself) I plan personally to just take the DI cartridge out so I dont have to worry about replacement, which actually may increase production of the unit slightly.

Def at least one power head but two would be prefered.

Heater seems good

You could either go with a sand or a rubble rock base, my friend at the LFS (who im working on convincing to join here) loves his tank with the rubble rock base. If you do all the rock you actually wont need the filters as the rock IS the filter.
    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Yeah, I will actually be ordering the one in his thread soon.

How many gph would you recommend for the power heads?

That's what I though abut the rock being the filter, but what happens to the fish waste? Does it just build up on the bottom until a water change is done?

I've never heard of bubble rock. I'll have to look that up.

Also, is the cycling process similar to saltwater? I read something before about letting the live rock cure or something. I think that meant for dry rock though. How much live rock should I put in? 2 lbs per gallon?

Comment

Your heater is fine...

You could use the filters but idk much about that you would have to ask Rogue

I prefer sanded bottoms either 1" or 3-4" for some reason I keep hearing to not go between 1-3" idk why sounds silly IMO... but the general rule for sand is 1lb per gallon but if i was you I would do maybe 30lbs or so... 20lbs of argonite and 10lbs of live

The live rock rule is 1-1.5lbs per gallon so 20-30lbs of rocking is fine... to make it cheaper I would do 15-20lbs of base rock (aka dead rock) and 5-10lbs of live rock and that will seed your base rock and make it live :-)

The $21 isn't to bad for instant ocean... I paid half that for the 25g worth I bought

Power heads are a must... here are the ones I was told to get when i start my 29g http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-800GPH-Wa...item2574a98cac
        I would assume these would be great for your 20l as well :-)

Ask Rogue but you may need a protein Skimmer... I can't find the links to the 2 I am debating on getting I will post once i find them... I bet they are burried in my nano thread xD

The fish waste is caught by the rocking and the bacteria in the LR eats it... that's the most basic answer haha

And yes the saltwater cycling is very simaler to freshwater :-) only you should put a frozen shrimp (whole) into the water and watch as it decomposes... once your nitrates(?) Reach 5ppm remove the shrimp then wait a week while testing water and if you stay at a solid 0,0,0-5 in your reading start adding your clean up crew (cuc)

I am sure I am forgetting lots lol I am still new but for sure Rogue will help you out more! He has been a HUGE help with mine :-)

Edit: found the Skimmer I would like to use

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4144&subref=AA
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          Your heater is fine...

You could use the filters but idk much about that you would have to ask Rogue

I prefer sanded bottoms either 1" or 3-4" for some reason I keep hearing to not go between 1-3" idk why sounds silly IMO... but the general rule for sand is 1lb per gallon but if i was you I would do maybe 30lbs or so... 20lbs of argonite and 10lbs of live

The live rock rule is 1-1.5lbs per gallon so 20-30lbs of rocking is fine... to make it cheaper I would do 15-20lbs of base rock (aka dead rock) and 5-10lbs of live rock and that will seed your base rock and make it live :-)

The $21 isn't to bad for instant ocean... I paid half that for the 25g worth I bought

Power heads are a must... here are the ones I was told to get when i start my 29g http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-800GPH-Wa...item2574a98cac
          I would assume these would be great for your 20l as well :-)

Ask Rogue but you may need a protein Skimmer... I can't find the links to the 2 I am debating on getting I will post once i find them... I bet they are burried in my nano thread xD

The fish waste is caught by the rocking and the bacteria in the LR eats it... that's the most basic answer haha

And yes the saltwater cycling is very simaler to freshwater :-) only you should put a frozen shrimp (whole) into the water and watch as it decomposes... once your nitrates(?) Reach 5ppm remove the shrimp then wait a week while testing water and if you stay at a solid 0,0,0-5 in your reading start adding your clean up crew (cuc)

I am sure I am forgetting lots lol I am still new but for sure Rogue will help you out more! He has been a HUGE help with mine :-)

Edit: found the Skimmer I would like to use

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4144&subref=AA
          After looking at substrates, I think I'm gonna go with the aragonite/live sand. It looks the most appealing to me.

I also was researching live rock costs and was getting mixed results. Is $1.99 per pound a good price? That's what I costs at my LFS.

The protein skimmer is the thing discouraging me. Do you just put it right in the tank? I'm not doing a sump it just seems like it would be an eye sore in the tank.

What is that microbactor7 stuff I kept seeing you guys talking about? Is it like a solution to cycle the tank faster?

Thanks for the responses guys! They a very helpful.

Comment

:O seriously $1.99.... I have to pay $5.99 per lbs here... that's really cheap!!!

The Skimmer I linked is a HOB I think if you put it to the side of the tank you really wouldn't notice it to much, just a thought though...

MB7 in my opinion is like TSS and prime all in one... just follow the direction the the back and it helps with the cycle... I don't know if it insta cycles but I have been using it for the last 2 weeks I love the stuff and it has help to save the micro starfish that were in my live rock :-)
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Wow that is a really good price on the LR!!! my LFS sells it starting at $5.99lb
              -Jim-

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Wanna help me set up a tank?

I'm bumping this thread for Rogue, who is technically challenged and cannot find it

I'm ordering some supplies soon so I want to get an idea of what I need.

Things in the list:
                Heaters
                Power heads/pumps/circulation fans

Comment

Protein skimmer
                  Lighting... marineland leds are awesome!
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I have really liked the titanium heaters from kens fish as they have the controls on the outside of the tank.
                    -Jim-

Comment

What are some other lighting options? I want to have some corals eventually. I don't really know anything about them other than some need lots of light. I want to stay as cheap as I can on lighting.

Comment

Working...
                      X