dwarf sea horse nano reef

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dwarf sea horse nano reef

I fell in love with these tiny seahorses. I'm working on researching a perfect reef setting for them. I realize most of the corals available are too dangerous for dwarfs, or have very different ideal conditions........so I'm searching and researching to find my options.
    Here's the plan so far (its very much a work in progress, new info keeps adjusting it)
    10g display, 5g sump with macroalgae rdfugium and protien skimmer
    live sand with Texas holey rock to seed
    Light-TBD by coral choice
    10-12 dwarf seahorse start colony
    Orange sea star (echinaster sp)
    3-5 zoa colonies
    ? Cleaner snails
    Dead gorgondan (not worth risk of opposite condition with live sponge)

Can anyone think of other corals that might work?
    I'm also looking for plant suggestions.....kelp was one I'm interested in

Thanks for the help making my seahorses more than just an idea
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Hello Featherblue
    I really can't help I'm sorry I just wanted to say what an awesome project to have in your future
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I picked it for the challenge......and absolute awesomeness of these guys.....and more challenging projects slows down my mts

Id seen mixed reviews on mushrooms.....some claim they're dwarf safe, others that they sting. Then I noticed the HUGE variety of these guys in the trade (plus the even larger wild types) do any members have mushroom experiance with those with tentecles vs smooth? How do they act with ur other livestock?
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Once again I am glad you join the forum Blue now on to your horses!

Its not to much info but have you read this about the orange sea star you want http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...581&pcatid=581 you should wait about 4-6 months before buying one to be sure you have a decent food supply for one.

For your clean up crew check out reefcleaners.com if you click on custom clean up crew and fill out the information they will email you what should be the perfect crew for your tank that would be sea horse safe!

Also be aware the dead gorgonian will/should get covered in coroline algae as dead corals seem to attract it (from what I have seen anyways) in some ways it becomes like a live rock...

For plants I like shaving bush plant, mermaid fan, kelp on rock grape, and the maidens hair plant... I am sure there are tons of others though :-)
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
        1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
        40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I looked into a seahorse tank before but

1. Scared to start one
          2. Empty wallet
          3. No room for another tank.

I also read that you need to find the right seawood that matches the water params of the seahorse as well, some people have used artificial silk plants for saltwater tanks and avoid the ones with metal because it can degrade over time and poison the water.

I'm going to live my dreams of seahorse tank through you.

I did see this on youtube:

Comment

I was going to avoid the wood head ache.......i thinking kelp, or another grass, and gorgonian (cant decide live ir dead....conflicting care info is soooooo frustrating) as tail hitches....I may add some silk plants to give them something depending on plant size

I might get to see one in action.....one of my hubbys friends has seahorse. No idea his big of a tank or what kind, but I'm working on coordinating a visit

Has anyone here kept gorgonians or other sponges? Ive read they need a higher flow rate......true? Flexable? What about food? His mu h of their energy is produced by light? Living hitching posts seem very novel, but nit at risk to my little eco system

Comment

Sounds like a fun project!! How are you going to cycle the tank? Sand wise try to get the finest sand you can. That will let you vacuum out any uneaten food. Seahorses are pretty sensitive to that sorta thing. Also, I'd try to get half and half live and dry rock. Live rock will introduce all kinds of goodies to your tank like coraline algae, sometimes feather dusters, and various other hitchhikers. I got a small rock flower anemone on one of my pieces! Course she fit right in with my stock but she wouldn't in yours.

From what I've seen on SH tanks you want to keep your macro algae in the display tank. I've seen several heavily planted SH tanks that look awesome! I have sponges myself (hitchhikers) and they are kinda cool. Grow really slow and don't do much. They are very picky about being out of the water so be VERY careful with that. I know someone that bought a $60 sponge only to have it die because the person he bought it from took it out of the water for a couple seconds while putting it in the bag.

I've never kept gorgonians but from what I have seen they are fairly nice and like higher flow rate. No idea how much light they need. Unfortunately we don't have many SW keepers here yet but we hope to attract some more soon haha.
              -Jonathan

Comment

@rogue-what kind of flow do u have? Any id on ur hitchhiking sponge?

Read live sand has less hydroids (stinging bad hitchhiker) than live rock, which is an issue with dsh.....now I read u could treat for hydroids with panacur (dog dewormer). The chemical also kills all softcorals, so I don't want to use it in my display (residual effects even with wc), could I dip live rock to avoid the risk ochydroids and panacur in my display?

Comment

I have pretty high flow. I have several HOBs on my tank so I don't use powerheads but once I switch to my sump I'll add some powerheads.

Honestly I'm not sure. I've never kept SH before so I can't really comment on that too much. If live rock has hydroids in it then you should definitely go with dry rock and try to get bits of coraline algae from other reefers. I have one piece of coraline that a guy scraped off his rock and gave to me. It was kinda cool lol.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

Hmmm.....I don't mind thus one thanking forever to get going. Is there anything other than coralline and copods that I want to import in with live rock (except the occassional awesome hitchhiker)?

Comment

You'll get more copepods in macroalgae to be honest. LR is full of helpful organisms. More than I can name lol. I would get on a Seahorse forum and ask how they set up their tanks.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

And research has shown how involved this project is.....a nano display tank hydroid free (clrazy cleaning and limited sourcing on ANYTHING added to tank), an always ready hospital tank for raising colts, multiple live food cultures. Just BBS, even enriched, seems to lack needed nutrition and result in 3 month seahorses (end up perishing from nutritional lack)......whichever means also culturing mysis, copods, and several other simm creatures. Most dsh tanks are species only, few cohabitable critters and risk of hydroid infection with every addition.

So ive decided this is going to stay an eventually project, for now. I'm going to try a simplier nano reef including their possible tankmates, to gain experiance and familiarity before risking the lives of such wonderful and unique creature.

Comment

While it is most likely a disappointment I completely understand. Seahorses, from what I hear, are more work than an overstocked discus tank.
                          - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                          Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                          Socrates

Comment

wow I knew there was a lot of work but wowz... your still getting that saltwater tank though right? would be awesome to have 1 more saltwater person to gush over salty stuff with ;D
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                            2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                            1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                            40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                            "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Absolutely.....Im no where near giving up on my ponies. I'm just trying to care for them right, which means waiting in this case. They're very sensitive and wild population may be dwindling. Ill start my pony tank when I can add to the overall pop.......not help it dwindle

I'm going to do a nano reef in the 12g nanocube I'm picking up later today
                              Its going to be just cycling for a while......I'm not comfortable enough with my knowledge level to put anything in it yet. I think I'm going to focus on practicing simm setting to my eventual ponies, but not limit it to only dsh compatable critters.

Comment

Working...
                              X