help placing corals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help placing corals

So im in need of help placing my corals in my 12g nanotank. im running an led with potential of high light, but i intend to run it more around medium. moderate to low flow in the tank, depending on where exactly. i have a few colonies of zoanthids at this point, and a small polyp colony at a foster reef comming home soon. heres the list of corals im really interested in placing or taking off my list:
    Duncans
    Mushrooms
    polyps (new)
    geen button polyp (have, need to place)
    Acans
    blastumossa
    candy cane LPS

Heres a shot of the tank:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	reef front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	141664

and heres a left side shot:

Name:	reef left side.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	141665
    i thought i might be able to do a poly colony or two on the small shelf on the back. maybe one of the LPS (acan or candy cane?) on the purple rock up and bend where my minimaxi is.

this is the center and the back of the tank from the front

Name:	reef front back.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	141666

could i do the duncan or the blastamusso on the center in the back? give alittle space for tentacle stretch

id love ideas for the top of the center rock and its right side

Name:	reef front right.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	141667
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

i think i reached the upload limit...continuation:

heres the two zoa colonies i have started on the top of the barnacles:

Name:	zoas right.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	137855Click image for larger version

Name:	zoas left.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	137856

could i add some mushrooms in front of the one on the right without too much problems? i think theyd look great falling down the top of the barnacle

heres a little video tour of the tank to help with space and rock shape
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

would polyps be a good choice for the empty top center shelf? or maybe a floppy riccordia?

would an acan on the center rock sting or hurt mushrooms growing up the side? or could my mini maxi hurt the mushrooms, or the acan?

ive heard the opposite on candycanes....what makes them water condition picky? (NO3? Phos?) ive been watching a few frags stretch over tast few weeks on display at the store. i was considering mounting a cluster somewhere on the center rock, any suggestions on where?

im def at 20x on the tank, 12g with 195 and a 85 right now. i may upgrade the 85 to a 240 (better mounting style, more control over flow direction). Im running a LED designed for coral growth. its currently being run at a really low power, but im slowly working it up so i dont scare or hurt my exsisting zoas.
      Last edited by featherblue; 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I have luxen es diodes (new market replacement for cree)

The store is running the salt mix I am (redsea h2ocean), metal halides (which I'm avoiding for heat production and power consumption), I kniw the have a crazy huge skimmer on the system, but I'm not sure on the other filtration

Would a top view be the best way to build a map for placement options?

Comment

I realize imight need to rearrange, no plan is set in stone, I'm just looking for specific ideas that might be feasable. I'm limited on space, but i want to naximize my coral and color variety.

Which corals were talking about need more space?
          Duncans- couple inches for growth and tentacled?
          Blasstos?
          Acan- ive seen how short these guys tentacles are at dinner time, but how fast does it put out new polyps(? It is another polyp right?)

Which would actually like high light?

Thanks for helping me sort thru all these corals!

Comment

so ive got a few of my soft corals where id like them, and they seem happy so far. Ive noticed i have a fwe nicely open rocks left that need some coral. Id love some specific suggestions of what you think might thrive in the locations i have left. Heres how the tank sits today:

Name:	FTS 4 12 13.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	138059

1. This is one of the large spots id like to fill. theres about a 4" square on the lower rock, under the candy canes, next to the single red mushroom.

Name:	front rock.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	138060
            low to moderate flow, moderate light by the time i get the led turned up (gotta go sooooo slooooow, or these guys burn my zoas)

so theres two lower shelfs in the back of the tank (the 2 orange arrows), that need something. with the space around the center shelf (the shell is just laying between the two and can easily move)

Name:	side back.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	138061

Name:	center tank.jpg
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	138062
            2. could a duncan be happy? the flow is pull from the return (above the next shelf, pointed at the acrilic), but enough to keep detrius off my zoas when they were there (moving to adjust to light). the light on this shelf is pretty moderate

3.what would be a good choice for the shelf by the glass? it gets quite a bit of flow from the return pump, but the light is weaker than the shelf next to it (the one above cuts into the light level a bit)

4. im not sure if i still have space in the center of the big rock. the zoas in the picture are working their way to the empty barnacle top. should i leave the space between the star polyp and the candy cane empty for star polyp growth?

5. this shelf is being the most difficult.

Name:	back center.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	138064
            as high as it is, this shelf gets really high light. with the return grate to the side, it has decent flow. what can handle high light with low to moderate flow?

thanks for help with specifics! feel free to suggest other corals i havent brought up, im really looking for ideas and suggestions

Comment

1. I would put ricordea or something similar there. Maybe some Yumas.

2. Yeah, a duncan would be fine there I think. But I'd go for a frogspawn or hammer myself.

3 & 5 I would put different types of Star Polyps on personally. They'd be kinda cool.

4. I would either leave that empty or put a different type of zoanthid there. Perhaps an orange or pink type.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I like the riccorias, so many colors! Only one, or could I do 2 different colored? How aggressive woukd they be with another of their kind? (The carpet nems can be next to each other, and id seen the riccordias listed really simm)

I really like all 3, but I'm worried about the frogspawn or hammer extending too much. Id also read they both grow faster than Duncan's.

Would a flower pot count as a star polyp option? Or are they more light demanding? But then there's so many fun colors of stars.....I really like the jasmine's ive seen online

Ooooo....an excuse to keep zoas browsing I wish some of the fun colors weren't so cost prohibitive. I saw orange/red ones with dark spots called "darth maul", then saw the price tag and was way less excited ($120 for 1" chunk, owch)

Thanks for the suggestions! I really like ideas

Comment

Yeah I've seen most ricordeas growing right next to one another. I wouldn't see an issue keeping them like that. You also could put a plate coral there.

That's true. They do grow somewhat faster than Duncans from what I've seen but Duncans also can grow really long tentacles.

I wouldn't go for flower pot corals. A lot of people I've talked to say that they're great for a little while and then die for no reason.

Yeah, most fancy zoanthids are pretty expensive. Have you seen the African Blues? They're cool. A guy on Aquabid (thereef or something) sells alright corals. Pretty small frags but he has a large variety and some are really affordable. He has mostly Zoanthids if I'm not mistaken.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

Aquabid has sw too? Got stuck on that first collum and never really looked more.....this one might be dangerous for my bank account

Well more reading on the 3 lps I'm choosing between......it doesn't help that all of them are great for different reasons

Thanks for the warning on.flower pots....maybe in a bigger tank. Things dying in this one could cause a heap of problems.

Does the lighter colored like higher light hold true for all polyps or just zoas? My darker green zoas are much happier on the side of the rock than they were on top....should I keep thar in mind while I look for one for the upper shelf? Or would I be fine with any as long as I move them there slow?

Comment

IME you can acclimate a zoanthid to almost any range of light as long as you do it slowly. Personally I would be looking for lighter zoanthids to brighten up your tank a bit because it looks like you have mostly green ones right now.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                      X