Curing saltwater ich

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing saltwater ich

Okay when I bough my Molly last night she was in a seperate tank from an adult which had ich big time... I am not sure if filters.are shared.or.not.but I don't want my Molly to get sick so how do I help prevent her from getting it if she has any spores on her now and heat treating like in freshwater is a no go so if she gets it is there a way besides medicines to treat her to get rid of it?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I remember a guy in my local reef club said that having a Skunk Shrimp was the best way to go because they would clean the ich off. Heat treatment would kill most corals that I keep and meds aren't normally a good idea. I also remember reading that you could separate the fish in a barebottom tank and then wait for all the spores to fall off. Then move the fish and clean out the tank really well.
    -Jonathan

Comment

I just read this... It says in myths that skunks won't help as the infection is under the skin.. however. The tank move idea is in there...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1985626
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I believe copper treatment is good, thats what they do in the aquarium anyway and their morts rate is very low.....

Don't heat up the water like in fresh water, it evaporates the water causing the salinity to rise and salt water ich thrives in high salinity.
        When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Originally posted by Al :D View Post
          I believe copper treatment is good, thats what they do in the aquarium anyway and their morts rate is very low.....

Don't heat up the water like in fresh water, it evaporates the water causing the salinity to rise and salt water ich thrives in high salinity.
          Copper is also poisonous to just about everything salty...

The link above said drop the sg to 1.08-1.09... That can be safe can it...

Oh and just as a reminder the fish has no signs of ich right now I just want to be prepared in case...
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Is it?

I assume you'd be quarantining the effected fish and treating them? Is copper treatment bad for most saltwater fish? they did copper treatment with chromis (spelling) and long horn cow fish who came in with salt water ich and had 100% success rate
            When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Oh well yes he will be QT if he does carry it and I didn't realize that with copper... I am just going by what I am reading online... Personal experience is much better though... Thanks al.... Anyone know any preventative measures.
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I will ask the guys in the aquarium tomorrow but I reckon the answer will be, look after your fish well, lol

Comment

You could run your qt warm, if he does have it it should be apparent more quickly, this will also tend to speed up any other bacterial infections he may have. I like to run my qts warm for this purpose if the species can handle it. Generally I shoot for 82-83 F.

Eta: Al, I think, I may be wrong, people avoid copper because it can build up in animals tissues and over time become toxic.
                  __________________________________________________ _____
                  Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
                  110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Lol I know that haha what I guess I mean is... Since there is a change the filter is shared between tanks there is a very real chance my Molly has ich spores (that's what I will call them) is there a way to help boost the mollies immune system so she can fight it off better... (If that makes sense)
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

There is an Organic Rid Ich by Kordon.
                      Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

It could be wrong but that's what they use in the aquarium to treat it, the copper treatment kit they use didn't look standard to say the least, very precise measurements and everything had to be calculated in accordance with salinity and temperature etc...

The guys there really know their fish and care a great deal about the health of their fish too, plus they have access to a professional "fish doctor? LOL!" who works for the merlin group in the European sector.

I know Matt knows his stuff but these guys do too, I don't know who is correct here as I am a salty noob but I do trust the guys at sea life.

Comment

I know it sounds silly but would you be able to see if they have an email or will contact me via email? I really want to know what I'll need so I am prepared... And I mean no offence to you guys here at all I do trust yup guys with the knowledge I just want some professional(?) Help as well in case...
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                            Okay when I bough my Molly last night
                            How would this purchase jeopardize your saltwater tank? Even if the LFS used a central filtration system the different waters would be separate....or you'd end up with a brackish environment.
                            - Dena

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
                            Walt Disney

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
                            Socrates

Comment

Ich in sw takes copper to treat, from what ive read and seen at my salty store. You'll need to pit tge molly (is she has an issue), in a tank with no live rock (rock tends to college t copper and leach it into the system later), but anything to treat the molly might hurt the nem. I hope there's no headache! Lots of juggling to solve that one
                              36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Working...
                              X