Anemone Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anemone Change

Just wanted to post this picture for people buying new anemones. Always check the 'nem to make sure it isn't bleached. I didn't know much about bleaching when I bought this 'nem and thought it was naturally white. White 'nems sell better and for more money but they're actually sick! This is what they look like when healthy. Will post a before picture soon.

-Jonathan

I read the brown is actually a type of symbiotic algae that grows on them... Btw if I were to buy a bleached nem is it.possible to bring it back?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I don't know exactly what cuases the color change. But my LFS brings in bleached anemones so they can sell them for more because people think that white 'nems are prettier.

Yes, of course. The one above was bleached. Also, if you remember my GBTA, I brought back a 'nem from near death due to severe bleaching.
      -Jonathan

Comment

Oh yeah alright thanks... Mu lfs the original nem I wanted but the couldn't get was super white but I wanted it for its small size not the color... I have been thinking of going back and getting her as.well...
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
        "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I can't believe people bleach anemones this upsets me as much as dyeing bloody parrots its wrong. What is wrong with these people.

I hope you are able to get the little one Sean give melody another tankmate and a fantastic loving home away from wantant animal cosmetic surgeons
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Well now I need to do some searching as I'm now reading that condy nems don't like eachother but other areas I'm reading in the wild they can be found solo or in small groups... Anyways I am curious how do the get bleached... Is it a literal bleaching or is it like lack of nutrition and light?
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

They don't use actual bleach lol. It just means they turn white. Usually from over exposure of light I believe. But I'm not positive on what all causes bleaching.

I wouldn't add another 'nem to your 5g Sean. They have fairly large bioloads for their size.
              -Jonathan

Comment

Yeah I was thinking that as well, the bioload, I am thinking of trying to speed the cycle of my 40 up with MB7
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                X