Clear All

• Adventure of a mini maxi anenome

Heres my mini maxi anenome with a few of its sexy shrimp:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nem shrimp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	141695

this guys is constantly changing his color and texture. From dark purple to teal in the center, lots of bumpy tentacles to an almost formless blob. its amazing watching it move around. mines moved up the rock about and inch and over to the right about 1/2 an inch in the week its been in the tank so far. Its been feeding with its sexy shrimp at meal time (so easy to target everyone at lights on when theyre usually congregated on the nem)
    i believes hes growing. i noticed these lines empty of tentacles when he was stretched out today:

Name:	nem growth.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	141696
    i noticed a bit of a bowtie shape to his stretched out shape, with the inside points of the bowties meeting right by his mouth

Heres a progression of what i believe to be the nem's mouth or stomach ive seen this at meals time 3 times now

Name:	nem1.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	141698

Name:	nem2.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	141699

Name:	nem4.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	141697
    im not sure whats being pushed out, but he pulls it back in withing minutes.
    such an amazing animal!
    Last edited by catsma_97504; 04-02-2013, 10:11 PM. Reason: Fixing typos
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

So cool and so big too lol
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

the camera is zoomed in, and sexy shrimp are tiny....hes only about 3-4" when hes all the way stretched out fishing for food bits
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Great pictures! Yes, that's her stomach/mouth. They open their mouths to either take in food or push stuff out. Usually I see mine pushing things out. As long as the mouth doesn't stay open too long you're good. It shouldn't stay open for very long because that is a good sign that the 'nem is unhappy.
        -Jonathan

Comment

Haven't seen it too much, and it never stays out or open. Took about 45min to get the pic series. They move slow, but deft keep moving the tiniest bit.

Are the lines without lil tentacles because of growth?

Comment

He's so pretty how big will he get?
            Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Up to 6" from what ive read. He'll also split himself to reproduce.

Comment

Originally posted by featherblue View Post
                Up to 6" from what ive read. He'll also split himself to reproduce.
                For that reason is why Jon has taught me to refer to nems as girls
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Absolutely fascinating. Love the pictures.
                  __________________________________________________ __________
                  Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

But he looks like a boy? that is really interesting about how they reproduce do they just gradually do it when they are mature enough?

Comment

From what ive read, they'll spit when they have an abundance of food and have reached a size where there's enough mass for two seperate nems. It takes a few weeks.
                      And this one still needs a better name then purple sticky!

I feed the sexy shrimp every other day with "rods reef feed"(chopped frozen blend of sqiud, mussles, shrimp, and id have to look for the rest of the list), , and there's always a few on the nem......does it want/need more food?

Comment

I can't help with the feeding sorry although sounds like they are being fed very well

As for names how about Wilbur or Rosalita

Comment

from what i have witnessed the nem will spit out any extra food when its full... at least that's what Melody did when i gave her half a table shrimp (didn't relize i should have cut it into pieces lol)

oh and Magoo has name 2 of my bettas my 'nem and my mushroom... lol I'm sure she can't name your purple dude ;D
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I'm good at naming I can't help it if fish /nems tell me their names lol maybe it's my purpose

Comment

I've read that most 'nems are female. The only ones I've heard of that can reproduce sexually are Haddoni and Rock Flowers. Course I've never done much research into it.

Anemones will spit out any extra food (IME) and that should be cleaned up fairly quickly.

I would target feed your 'nem once a week Heather.
                              -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X