Splitting Musrhoom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting Musrhoom

My blue and brown stripped mushroom finally split! It got HUGE first though. I swear I was afraid it would never split. But it split into four pieces. One large one and three small ones. The small ones are still hidden under the umbrella of the original one but here are some pictures! You can see bits of two on either side and some of one behind the big one.

-Jonathan

I've never heard of a musrhoom before... it must be quite the specimen.

I like the colors!

Comment

Congrats on the split! So which picture shows the mushrooms true colors?
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
      1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
      40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I have never seen them before. Amazing looking.
        __________________________________________________ __________
        Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Thanks . It is pretty cool to watch them asexually reproduce.

Sean, the last picture is with a flash so you can see the brown. The first picture is closest to what I see myself but isn't quite exactly it.
          -Jonathan

Comment

Neat, what does it do from there? Are the split pieces mobile and find a new spot?
            __________________________________________________ _____
            Try not to be a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

Say what you mean and do what you say. -Alot of people
            110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Yes, all mushrooms can move but they rarely do so. The smaller shrooms will most likely move about an inch or so away from the mother and start growing there. That's why mushrooms are found in colonies . They don't like to move very far away from each otehr.
              -Jonathan

Comment

I love learning new stuff Thanks! If you wanted a colony at another spot in your tank could you place a piece there and have it start over or would it move?

Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. -Plato

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

If it was a suitable spot for the shroom to live it would stay there, usually. And even if it didn't like the spot it wouldn't move all the way back to its colony. Cool thing about shrooms is that you can cut the head off (the part that you see) and leave the foot and each piece will grow a new shroom! You can also cut them up into various pieces like starfish and each piece will grow a new shroom. Very easy to propagate if you like chopping up your pets .
                  -Jonathan

Comment

LOL! Sounds brutal but awesome nonetheless! I wish I could just cut off a piece of angel fin and have it grow a new angel!!

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

Won't know that it doesn't work until you try it lol.
                      -Jonathan

Comment

I'll try with that one with the bent top.

110G, 65G, 10, 300G Pond

Comment

This is a silly question...are mushrooms corals?
                          Please check out:

Forum Rules

Information about Duplicate Posts

Warnings, Infractions and Bannings

Comment

Technically coral is only the bony structure that you see after they are dead, not the living organism.

In laymans terms yes they are coral but thats about as vague as saying your a mammal.
                            -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                            If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                            Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                            Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

When I was researching on Steve (my speckled mushroom) I found out mushrooms also go by the names mushroom anemone which explains why if you have to many varieties they kill each other off much like actual anemones will...
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
                              2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
                              1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
                              40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
                              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Working...
                              X