Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 gallon Fluval Edge a salty adventure

Hello

As I have been admiring the various saltwater tanks and there inhabitants once my Edge is cleared of its snail army I'm thinking of maybe dabbling in a saltwater nano of my own but I am wondering what would my stocking options be as I am less than a novice when it comes to the way of the salty tank.

I love anemones and other living plant like type salty critters and would love to know what I could get and maybe crabs, shrimp and even possibly fish?

I am in your hands all suggestions and advice is very welcome
    Never underestimate the power of a smile

Most nems are way to big for a tank of that size... But I bet Jon knows some lol...

I think you need an emerald crab though... Everyone needs one... And you can google nano fish for a bunch of options... But you can have one a single clownfish as well or maybe a goby or two...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

get a whale shark!
      When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Yes I agree with al get a whale shark :P

Comment

I will be following this with great interest. I would love to have a small SW tank.
          __________________________________________________ __________
          Lori

30G, 5G

Comment

Lol I think ill need a bigger house never mind a bigger tank for a whale shark but thank you for the suggestion

I would love an emerald crab yours is so cute Sean.

I may have to go on a mission on research ooooooo Sean you are such a bad influence

I must admit I do love goby's and clown fish

Comment

Nah I think a whale shark would be able to fit for a few days but you'll have to upgrade lol...

And yes I aim to be a bad influence
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
              "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

It'll eat all my stock though

You are and it's one of the reasons I am in like with you lol

If I do undertake this endeavour eventually I will be looking to my forum buddies for so much advice I will need all the help I can get

Comment

Well there is 4 here atleast with salt experience also I recommend checking out nano-reefs for some help as well featherblue got help there as did I
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Actually a whale shark wont eat any of them as it is more of a whale than a shark...

Heres to Wikipedia
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_shark
                    -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                    If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                    Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Lol whale sharks are beautiful but still don't think ill ever get a tank big enough

So what would I need to start a salty tank?
                      I know I would need live rock and maybe sand what about equipment? I'm already looking at a canister filter to replace the standard edge one once payday arrives
                      The light has been changes to an led as the edge ones just weren't doing there job.

I read allot about protein skimmers and sumps would these be needed on a nano?

Comment

I'm not a salty myself and have been denied by the boyfriend (too much monthly cost on salt and too expensive in live stock!) but the one thing I've read that stuck out in my mind as neat is a lot of salties don't use filters. They use a power head to keep the flow going over the live rock to keep the biological filter going. Hopefully one of our salties will chime in on this.
                        ~Erin
                        10g, 20g, 29g, 55g

Comment

Are there many salty sea dogs on here? I hope so cos I am thinking of starting up a salt tank in the near future!
                          When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the fire department usually use water.

Comment

Me rogue featherblue and I think Jim is also...
                            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

So a tank that size you would filter with live rock by creating flow with powerheads, and maybe do a canister or hob for nutriment removal (if u need it....refugium, chem removal like phosguard)
                              Not many do a sump or a skimmer on tanks that small.
                              Led what? It really matters what bulbs or what tge light was built for.....and what you want under it. Coral needs good light. Lights for coral are expensive. You could do a clip on par 30 or 38, $60-80. It would create enough for med light or low light corals. Jst inverts or a single fish would be fine with the light you have.
                              36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Working...
                              X