Fiji or Indopacific Reef Stock Options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fiji or Indopacific Reef Stock Options

Zoanthids, mushrooms, and palys are all great begginer options. They'll survive in less thannperfect conditions, and thrive quickly as you dial everything in
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

And there are some awesome zoas out there
      Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

I know! I saw a pic somewhere of a tank with a partial "zoa carpet". It was cool, but I can't find it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I am sorely tempted to setup one of my empty tanks and have a play at a nano salty tank just for zoas and shrimp but I can't see it happening I have a severe lack of flat surface space

I like the zoa gardens I have seen pictures of with many different colours all together
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

Buy a small table

Comment

I forgot about Candy Cane corals, that's on my list I may need to add favia to my list ... Oh and it's Green Star Palyps. Thems be the one I want! (I gotta narrow down my coral list... not enough space for everything pretty *sigh*)

Ok welp ... I've narrowed my stock to 2 options (I am liking the first more an more...) I'm thinking I'm gonna need to make a list of corals too... daggone it!

Originally posted by kinezumi89 View Post
              Buy a small table
              Hahahaha! it's hard! I was gonna set up one of my 10 gals as a nano just to make the decisions easier, but I'm resisting cause I know that'd be a very bad idea! Ya'll should be proud of me, I'm keeping my impulsive buying in check! Though I'm gonna binge on plants for my FW tanks in a minute.

Comment

Hmmm ok, list of Coral stock options (this may be easier than selecting fish yes, I'm backwards):

Montipora Capricornis
                Sun coral (tubastrea spp.)
                Candy Cane coral
                Torch or hammer coral
                Scoly or wellsophelia (spelt wrong) coral
                star polyps
                clam (not .... really a coral)
                sympodium coral?

I'm trying to picture where things would go... having a time doing that I know with corals yer supposed to plan way in advance to avoid things stinging each other and have yer end result in mind ... (not easy for someone like me who swaps plants out like the wind!)

Thoughts?

Comment

::Montis are an sps.....so id wait longer to try that one. Needs pristine water and tons of good light
                  Sun corals are actually not photosynthetic. They get all their food from protiens. They need to be fed at least daily, but some of tge most successful colonies ive seen get mysis 2-3 times a day.
                  Candy cane :thumbsup: very strait forward. Give light and tiny food a couple times a week. Mine are actually all rescues. It was "rock" on something else I got, and I noticed some color.....gave it light. Free coral
                  Euphilia (torch, hammers, frogspwan): another good choice. They don't sting eachother, but will need some space from other species of corals
                  Scoly- pretty pretty, but very spendy.....I haven't learned much about em yet
                  Star polyps/symposidium- both grow quick, and will over grow anything that cant defend its self
                  Clams: need excellent light to get enough energy from photosynthisis. The bluest ones need the most light
                  36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I was planning on stalling with the monti cause I know they can get big and when I (eventually) move out I plan on upgrading this tank to a much bigger one (I'm sure the size thing with the monti is easily controlled but I'm scared so I'll just get a bigger tank, bwahahaha!)

I read that sun corals just need a high flow area but need to be slowly introduced to areas of high light (I may be confusing them with something else) I'd also eyeballed a Duncan (same family) but saw they're on the threatened spp. list ... again, the conservationist in me said I shouldn't.

Yay on the candy cane! congrats on the rescue! I think I actually have a rescue, not sure what, (its on the back corner of my coral rock... based off of what I've seen on one website, looks like a leather? kinda like this but less .... "fingery" and more "bumpy" if that makes any sense)

I've read that about Euphilia, that's why I was debating making a "Euphilia Isle" in my tank so the other corals are safe

I've noticed that $$$ trend. I'm kinda curious cause I keep seeing acans and thinking they're wells/scolys ... I need to start googling the "full grown" colonies to see how they look down the road, maybe I'll be less confused

so how do you manage your polyps/how do you "prune" them? I've seen how to do shrooms on youtube... guess I'll have to check out the others too, huh.

Speaking of shrooms, one site said they're semi-aggressive? does that mean I cant have a wall of multicolored shrooms? (kinda like your zoa wall the idea hit me while I was looking at other colored shrooms and thought that mine were cooler anyways .... you know, cause they're my first corals yeah, I'm one of those types ya'll still love me though!)

That's interesting about the blue clams didn't know that! hmmm so I should wait til I get a new light fixture before getting my clam? (I was gonna anyways actually)

hmm I should add Zoas to that list ... I definitely need more rock!

Comment

So, Night Owl Mode has been activated, which means I'm wide awake and researching stuff out of curiosity. During said research, I think I came to a decision that less is more so I'm posting this before I hit the hay. I think I've decided on a modified option 1:

Fish:
                      1 angel, either Yellow and Black Heraldi Angelfish or Flame Angelfish (still debating if I will keep the angel in this list)
                      clown pair (still most likely black and white clowns)
                      Christmas Wrasse or Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse
                      Yellow eye combtooth Blenny
                      Mandarin Dragonet (though I still kinda want my red scooter dragonet, I've got plenty of time to meander on that since neither the wrasse or the dragonet will be added til the sumpfugium has been running for several months, by then I'll be able to decide if I should add either one, or if I can have both since they may compete for foods.)
                      = 6 fish

Inverts:
                      a few hermits
                      emerald crab
                      a few snails
                      Skunk cleaner shrimp (single or pair?)
                      peppermint shrimp (still debating, is this two many shrimps?)
                      an anemone for the clowns

Corals: (semi order of adding)
                      Mushrooms
                      Zoanthids
                      Candy cane or trumpet coral
                      Euphyllia isle (Torch and hammer corals... maybe a frogspawn)
                      Metallic Green Star Polyp
                      symposidium
                      Sun Coral
                      Brain coral (wellsyphilia or trachy... or a scoly? though I prefer metallic )
                      montipora capricornis (eventually... no rush)

I'm treating this tank like my FWs: if I add anything, it'll be after 2 weeks (pay check! oh yeah and QT ... that's important too)

Thoughts?

Comment

You're at the min tank size for a manderin....id be very cautious on this idea. Its easy for then to starve in small systems. Id def aim for a large rock pile (more rock more pod breeding).

If you want a dragonette id nix any wrasses. They eat the same food (live critters), and the wrasse will most likely outcompete the dragonette.....or id stock by preference and be willing to not get the 2nd choice unless the tank coukd clearly handle the load.....but that sounded like your plan

I have 2 cleaners and a peppermint shrimp. Nonorobkems so far...but ive read a pair is enough cleaners unless you have 100+g

Comment

Oops! Sorry, I thought min size for mandarin was 30. Ok nix them!

yeah, I was planning on adding them (wrasse and dragonet) last. hmmm well the debate is:
                          - christmas wrasse: kinda big, but also eats fireworms and other pests
                          - dragonet (scooter dragonet):... They're kinda the reason I've got a sw tank!
                          Is it possible to have both in a huge setup? Like 200+ gal tank with a 50+ gal refugium?

I was gonna set up a 29 gal sump with a refugium I've heard chaeto and ulva are good macros to have for pods.

Maybe I'll do the hectors goby instead of the wrasse, and keep my scooter? Hmmm thats an idea, unless ya'll have any suggestions fire something colorful instead of the wrasse

Would there be any issues with the other critters. Like the angel? Or clowns? I think I'll shoot for the cleaner and peppermint (my only interest in them is if I'm as much of aaipastia fail as I'm currently proving to be ) this next trip to the store... Which may be... Either aweek or a couple of weeks from now bills.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I think I'm thinking too much but I've changed to a modified... modified option 1

Fish:
                            1 angel, still either Yellow and Black Heraldi Angelfish or Flame Angelfish... is there any reason why I shouldn't?
                            clown pair (still most likely black and white clowns though... Pearl eye Clarkii and Spotcinctus clowns are growing on me)
                            Yellow Eye Combtooth Blenny
                            Red Scooter Dragonet
                            = 5 fish

Can I add one of these as a replacement for the Wrasse?
                            Blue Gudgeon Dartfish... maybe not... competition for the scooter?
                            Scissortail Dartfish
                            a few Zebra barred Dartfish
                            Court Jesters Goby
                            Hectors Goby
                            Sleeper Railway Glider Goby
                            Maybe a Sleeper Gold Head Goby
                            _Your suggestion goes here____

Inverts:
                            a few hermits (total of 5?)
                            emerald crab
                            a few snails (3 or 5 sand sifters and maybe 5 dwarf ceriths)
                            Skunk cleaner shrimp
                            peppermint shrimp
                            an anemone for the clowns
                            = 19 max inverts

Corals: (semi order of adding)
                            Mushrooms (rock-o-shrooms!)
                            Zoanthids (hmm debating... maybe a few for added bursts of color )
                            Candy cane or trumpet coral
                            Euphyllia isle (Torch and hammer corals... still debating if there's space for this)
                            symposidium/Metallic Green Star Polyp (as much as I like this critter ... I wonder if maintaining it will be a bit much? how easily can they take over a tank? are there pro's/cons?)
                            Sun Coral
                            Brain coral (wellsyphilia)
                            montipora capricornis (eventually...)

Have I made too many tiny adjustments?

Your thoughts so I can stop thinking?

Comment

Your list is looking great you should look at the article I link in my thread about mandarin prep....great info on all the dragonettes scooters tend to eat prepared food easier than their pretty finned cousins, and I love the red scooters pattern!

As far as your maybe fishes, ive got a hectors goby. Great peaceful fish! Zippy wanders all day picking at rocks and sand, popping up his lil flag if he gets excited. No pod hunting, almost exclusively herbavor. But any of the gobys you listed would be great, its all on you to pick your fav colors now

You may be able to add a dartfish and a goby to the list you've got narrowed down. The deciding factor will he bioload as you stock the tank. If you have the first 6 in, and your nitrates etc are all in line, you can add #7. Its hard to call now, it'll be dependent on you maintence schedual and filtration equiptment, and the equilibrium you reach down the line.

Be cautious with crabs. I'm starting to question my choice of adding them. Hermits are jerks with no respect tor how awkward it was to wedge that frag in place. They just wander thru and knock them everywhere. And I don't trust ninja, my emerald crab, any more. I watched him hunt my sexy shrimp then snip himself a paly polyp for a snack. Hes getting an eviction notice if I can catch his sneakyness out in the open.

GSP grow crazy fast.... but they're really pretty. I'm controlling mine by surrounding the colony I want with rubble. As it over grows I just pull the rubble. I currently need to glue rubble in place because of my rude hermits

Comment

Will do

AH! Thats what I wanted to hear!!! Been petrified of compatibility issues, ya know.Yeah, I was planning on one at a time (sept for the pairs of course... or if any of them need to be introduced together anyways...)

Speaking of which, is there a order I should be looking for? I was thinking angel last... anemone first to pick a spot, then clowns once the nem is situated... hopefully they'll host and settle... then I'll move on to something else?

I shall keep an eye on them if all they do is knock stuff over, I ... think/hope I'm ok there.... unless the buggars are stronger than expected...
                                Thats a really creative way to solve that issue! is it as easy as pulling them off, like pizza slices or monkey bread?

Comment

Working...
                                X