40g hex from the start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40g hex from the start

Alright so i have decided the hex will become an upgraded saltwater tank! The discus I would feel bad stuffing into this tsnk, tbh...

So I know I need ti get the stocking out of the way first so my small list so far is
    Flame angel
    2 tank raised percula clowns
    1 emerald crab
    2 neon gobies
    1 sand sifter goby (not sure of its real name but that's what the lfs dude kept calling it)
    3 aestrea
    3 nassarius
    2 blue legged hermits

I know i can add more fish but I am stuck as what to add :/

I also made a small list of what I will be paying for as well...
    Live rock- 33 lbs cured $2lbs (if the guy still has any) found his add on craigslist just now lol http://mattoon.craigslist.org/for/3658839305.html
    Base sand - 40lbs the lfs has the sand I want $20 per 20lbs page
    Power heads - 3x 600gph (have one) to on the sides one in the middle (would this be to much?)
    Skimmer - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23714 (on sale right now for $129)
    Salt mix I need to pic up more may get the bag of 200g from the drfosterandsmith its cheaper then buying it at my lfs
    I need to find good test kits so that I'm still up in the air with... I have the basic stuff for Ph, nitrites, nitrates, and amonia... I also have a sera calcium test kit (is sera kits any good anyone know?)

Also since my 5g is cycled should I pick up any corals from the guy linked on the live rock? And hold them in the 5g until the bigger tanks cycled?
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

I've heard flame angels require a larger tank than 40g. They get like 6".

Why perculas? I like Ocellaris better lol.

Sounds good. I would add more live rock if you can. I have near 50lbs in my 20g. Also instead of base sand get the live sand from drsfostersmith.com. Much better IMO.

I dunno about Sera kits. I use Salifert.

If you did get any corals from him I'd only get the Xenia. The open brain price is kinda high for the coloration. If his zoanthids look really nice then $30 is alright but other than that I think his prices are a tad steep. And yes, put them in the 5g until the 40g is fully cycled.
    -Jonathan

Comment

I had planned on getting the Xenia already because yours are wicked awesome!

Wow 50 in your 20... hmmm... maybe I'll get 50lbs for a total of 57lbs in there... I am not to sure about adding more then that lol...

Yeah I have talked about it before in my 5g thread :-) I love the way it looks and it seems to have paired up with the skunk shrimp in the tank at the lfs :-) you never see one without the other inches away!

Why percula... because that's what my lfs sells lol... I don't want to order fish if I can help it...

My lfs has 4 sailfin mollies I am thinking of maybe buying the group and letting their fry be turned into live food for whatever I house in the tank... any that survive I'll sell to the lfs for store credit :-)
      Last edited by AlyeskaGirl; 03-22-2013, 06:43 PM. Reason: merged posts; housekeeping
      2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
      "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Alright my friends the plans are in motion... I meet him next Friday and I am picking up his orange zoas for $5 xenias but forgot the price a duskier jawfish ( I forgot the spelling just now sorry) $10 and 50-60 lbs of lr
        2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Sounds good looking forward to lots and lots of pictures
          Never underestimate the power of a smile

Comment

It's perfect! I also found a great light and a wave maker on craigsslist for 200 that I plan to buy...

And my finale stocking is
            1 flame angel ( everyone seems to be fine with adding her she just needs to have enough stuff to graze on so was told to wait 4 months before adding her)
            2 perculia clowns
            1 duskier jawfish
            5 firefish
            1 six line eraser

Cuc
            1 Emma the emerald crab
            2 skunk cleaners
            Idk what else
            2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Hehe I told the guy today what all from his Craigslist ad I wanted to buy and he said he has more if I wanted to take a look Thursday! Kinda excited to see everything!!!

He updated his ad... Rogue do you think any of this is a good sounding deal? I want like half the corals he listed lol... I don't think my 5g would be able to hold it all lol...
              Last edited by Sean; 03-09-2013, 08:49 PM.
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

mom has said she loves the idea of a large saltwater tank and as long as it doesn't look like poo (she used a more colorful word lol) I can set it up in the dinning room lol... so the spot she has picked is where her desk is she wants gone I told her that desk would be perfect for a tank stand... it can hold the weight! plus when it was carved it has a bunch of light house and old sea boat type of designs... fits the theme! but i told my mom by the time i'm done well over $1,000 will be spent and if my brother dares touch anything on it i will hunt him down...
                2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Hey, at leasy u gave some fair warning......u brother gave no warning on his horrible idea of pet care.

Glad ur mom is embracing ur hobby (and opening more spots in the house for tanks

Remember corals are animals with a bioload.....and a 5g can only handle so much. Have you considered coral chemical warfare in the tiny QT? they may do great together in the 40, but being that close together in QT might cost u a few specimins. Double check who you're planning to put in there and how they'll react to each other....
                  36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

can that be called care?

yeah she just walked up to me and sat me down lol... kind of comical really... she asked if her and dad would be able to go pick up the rocks tomorrow while i'm at work instead of waiting for Thursday... I love that she suggested that but really I want to be there so I know what rocks will go where...

right now O just plan for the Pulsing Xina(sp), and the orange and green Zoas... if he still has the rest by the time the tanks ready I may buy it as well...
                    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

I'm jealous.....its hard to find anything but green n blue zoas at this point round here

R u going to keep the 5g running or just use it as a QT?
                      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I don't see anything different about his ad?

Great! Glad your mom is getting involved. LOL If your brother messes with the tank I'll help you hunt him down. I do have a torture room... hahaha

Stay away from open brains. They can be mean and have LONG stinger tentacles. Zoanthids and Xenia should be alright. Note that Xenia is considered a weed by most reefers lol. Some people can grow it really easily and for others it just dies. Mine died but came back LOL.

I agree with Featherblue here. Be careful as to how many corals you put in the 5g. A couple frags of zoanthids and xenia will be fine. Just don't put anything big or difficult like brains, frogspawn, trumpets, etc. I'd stay away from LPS for now. When you get the corals make sure you dip them! I'd do the same for the rock. You don't want any nasties getting into your tank. Aiptasia is the one I'm thinking of primarily.
                        -Jonathan

Comment

What do you mean by dipping them
                          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

*facepalm* You don't know about coral dipping!?
                            -Jonathan

Comment

I wouldn't have asked if I did lol...

Isn't the dipping where you dip it in fresh to water for a couple seconds? I think I read something about it a while ago...
                              Last edited by RogueAgent94; 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM. Reason: Merged posts.
                              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

Working...
                              X