moving a sw tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving a sw tank

So its officially spring, and my kitchen gets hot......which is where my sw nano is. I have a stand set up in my office for the tank, now to move it.

My current plan is to just drain 1/2 of the water and move it over. I'm walking it about 40feet.

Do I need to catch my livestock or remove my rocks? Id like to disturb as little as possible.....but I also don't want to skip a step and cause an issue
    Any tips or suggestions?
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Atleast remove any rocks that could roll and break the glass... Other than that you should be fine.
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

I was going to remove my cave top (it slides aroundbif it gets bumped), but I was just going to leave the other 2. They're on the sand, so not really anywhere to go. And I want yip to have somewhere to hide while I do this.....his barnacle is going to prob be above the water line.

I was going to put the water right back in the tank, except my usual 2g wc.
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

Make sure you can lift it, I would also be slightly concerned about the bottom of the tank, while it does fine sitting flat, when you cary it you will stress the glass in different directions.

I would also think about removing some if not most of the rocks, you can always put them in a bucket with the rest of the water while you move it.
        -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
        If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
        Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
        Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Good point......and this is acryilc. Does that mane more or less resistant to pressure change? Its a nanocube 12g with a back compartment for filtration.

I think ill pull 2 rocks instead of just the cap. The 3rd is fairly light, and cavey for my blenny to feel some what secure during this mess.

Ill pull everything and everyone if its safer....I don't want to break this tank! I did move my glass 10g shrimp tank, just draining it down to 2" of water and over to the new stand without issues.

Comment

Here's how I moved my tank. I emptied out half the water. I had someone help me lift it and set it on a larger piece of wood. Then the two of us carried the tank across the house and set it on the new stand. Acrylic makes the tank stronger. Basically the sides bend instead of break. But they only bend so much so be careful. That's why I put my tank on a piece of wood so the whole thing was supported.
            I didn't take anything out of my tank because I didn't want to disturb the livestock too much. I then used half the old water that I drained and half new water to fill the tank. I filled it using air hoses. That way I had a small but steady stream of water entering the tank. Not enough to blow the sand around but enough to keep the water flowing in quickly.
            -Jonathan

Comment

i really like the idea of a board to support the weigh shifting (rather than hoping the acrylic can take it). and i know that i can lift it half full (or at least a different tank with the same quantity of water), so it should be easy with two people. and ill only move the top rock with this method, less disturbing to the tank.

Comment

there ya go. sounds like a plan to me.
                -Jim-

Originally posted by Albert Einstein
                If the facts dont fit the theory, change the facts
                Originally posted by Theodore Geisel
                Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind donít matter and those who matter donít mind.

Comment

Yeah. Don't worry about corals being out of the water. They can handle being dry for hours.
                  -Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                  X