who came wth one of my rocks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who came wth one of my rocks?

this is an honest what am i? i really dont know the answer. i saw a creapy centipede looking thing crawling around underneath my GSP this evening at dinner time. at least an inch long, maybe two. i couldn't really tell, it was under the rock and weaving around under my coral too much. i got a partial pic of it
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bug 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	141819Click image for larger version

Name:	bug 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	141820
    the red arrows are pointed at the segmented thing under and beneath the star polyp.

any idea what this critter is?
    36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Looks like a bristle worm IMO...
    2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
    2.5g Apple Snail tank (Silver)
    1.5g Saltwater MTS vase (tough little dudes)
    40g red ear slider tank (Kappa)
    "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

You may be right. A few google searches are showing a very simm critter to what I saw. After reading this article I may not worry about it too much.
      http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...worm-info.html

Does anyone have a different opinion/experiance?
      36g ram community, 10g blue jelly shrimp, 10g orange pumpkin shrimp, 5g ADF, 12g reef, 55g hex reef

Comment

I think certain types can have a very painful sting so I would be careful handling it if you do. But I believe most people let them be in their tanks.

Comment

They are the good guys in the tanks they eat left over foods and such that can foul your water... they do sting so never try to grab one... if you really want them out I think peppermint shrimp eat the smaller 2" and below ones... they can get to a foot long and are normally nocturnal... and like I've said hundreds of times... bristle worms, mantis shrimp, and various crabs are what got me interested in salt to begin with!
          2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)
          "Normal is just an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." -- Morticia Adam

Comment

Yep, that's a bristle. I dip all my new rock to get rid of them lol. I hate hate HATE them. But, like Sean said, they can be helpful. I just decided that I could deal with the clean up if I didn't have to deal with stinging worms.
            -Jonathan

Comment

Rogues scared of worms
              2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

The dip ive been using (coral rx), is supposed to deal with there guys......but I guess I didn't leave one of the rocks in long enough. I think I'm scared of their potential sting too......does not sound like fun!

If it gets big (it never came out from under my GSP), its getting removed. I guess I'm not over feeding too bad. First time id seem one, and after pic comparison, its tiny.

Comment

If you can buy a peppermint shrimp... They normally eat the tiny ones...
                  2.5g Betta tank (Rayne)

Comment

If my tank was bigger or less stocked at this point, I could. But Im not sure how well it would fit into my tank

Comment

I didn't know peppermints ate them....
                      -Jonathan

Comment

IMO I love them I have 8 of them one is 12" long and only been sting once. Heck my LTA stings me any chance she gets lol they are very good cleaners and my peppermint loves to eat the small ones if she can find them lol. Heck even my tang tried to eat one and my BTA did lol. My pistol even killed one and tried to feed it to his buddy my yellow goby.
                        Jessi

Comment

Working...
                        X